SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 12-03-10, 08:18 AM   #131
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: NWR6 (North Wales Rideout) 23/24/25th April Discussion

So then. The furthest I have headed into NW in the past is ponderosa on the bike.

In the real world outside of the MCN spoon stirrers, how strict are NW police. My number plate is techinically legal now, but my exhaust is a little bit noisey and can't be made quieter.

Do I need to think about putting my standard one on for a weekend there?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:27 AM   #132
DaveP

I have never had any problems what so ever mate.

Dave
Old 12-03-10, 08:37 AM   #133
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I have never had any problems what so ever mate.

Dave
This is good news, ultimately its only as noisey as your right hand and only as the revs are high anyway. I dont know any of the roads so will be at the back going slow anyway lol.

Worth leaving the tinted visor at home?
Old 12-03-10, 08:38 AM   #134
christopher

Never had any problems either, and I'm over there almost every weekend.

edit: just seen comment about visor, as long as it's not overcast I'll have a dark tint on with my clear round me waist

Last edited by christopher; 12-03-10 at 08:41 AM.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:46 AM   #135
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
So then. The furthest I have headed into NW in the past is ponderosa on the bike.

In the real world outside of the MCN spoon stirrers, how strict are NW police. My number plate is techinically legal now, but my exhaust is a little bit noisey and can't be made quieter.

Do I need to think about putting my standard one on for a weekend there?
As a resident I can say I have not been pulled over for a noisy can or small plate (although mine is standard on VFR) on any bike. Furthermore we have not had any issues while riding as a group on the NWR jaunts (touch wood) except for one pulled for speeding in a 40 (words of advice given). Some folks have been hassled on the way to or leaving the ride. Quiff got done for his can and tyre on the way back from one ride, but the A5 near Betws-y-Coed is a hot spot and best avoided, so I do. The N. Wales police have new chief and he has changed emphasis on bike policing. But if you didn't get a tug around the Pondy for plate / exhaust then you are OK, that's fairly heavily policed around there.

On the visor thing, I think common sense prevails here (on both sides). If a dark visor is suitable for the conditions then no problem. If tugged, so long as you have your clear one with you then you will be OK.

In summary, you will be fine unless pulled for riding like an idiot, excess speed, etc. - but if pulled then you can expect them to check your bike, just like any other police force.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 12-03-10 at 10:08 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:56 AM   #136
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post

On the visor thing, I think common sense prevails here (on both sides). If a dark visor is suitable for the conditions then no problem. If tugged, so long as you have your clear one with you then you will be OK.

Mike, sorry for derail, whats the difference between an open faced helmet at night and a tinted visor lifted up?
I have tinted pinlock which i cant be bothered to carry round clear visors or whatever, if its gets dark, cant i just lift up my visor?
Seems a ridiculous rule to me.

Phil
Old 12-03-10, 09:59 AM   #137
G
Mega Poster

The covert mentioned in that news article will be the new black/dark blue 3 series BMW's I saw prowling about pulling people last weekend. Both on the A5 or just off it though.

Looking forwards to it, needs to be a bit more of an uptake on the bunkhouse though at the moment. I'm sure it will be filled though.
Old 12-03-10, 10:05 AM   #138
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Mike, sorry for derail, whats the difference between an open faced helmet at night and a tinted visor lifted up?
Not a lot in the context of vision impairment. But the open face wearer will normally have some kind of eye protection to wear (goggles or similar) whereas the visor up rider risks losing an eye / having a crash from eyes watering / flies in eyes.

Quote:
I have tinted pinlock which i cant be bothered to carry round clear visors or whatever, if its gets dark, cant i just lift up my visor?
Seems a ridiculous rule to me.
Just lifting up your visor seems ridiculous to me. Why risk permanent sight damage for the sake of having a clear visor with you? It's hardly onerous to carry one. Additionally, how does the 'lift your visor' policy work out when the weather changes unexpectedly and you end up riding in the rain with a dark visor on? Just spend a few quid on a visor bag and wear it (with a spare visor in it! ) around your waist under your jacket.

/derail
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 10:12 AM   #139
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Not a lot in the context of vision impairment. But the open face wearer will normally have some kind of eye protection to wear (goggles or similar) whereas the visor up rider risks losing an eye / having a crash from eyes watering / flies in eyes.

Just lifting up your visor seems ridiculous to me. Why risk permanent sight damage for the sake of having a clear visor with you? It's hardly onerous to carry one. Additionally, how does the 'lift your visor' policy work out when the weather changes unexpectedly and you end up riding in the rain with a dark visor on? Just spend a few quid on a visor bag and wear it (with a spare visor in it! ) around your waist under your jacket.

/derail
I have done, it was fine
Old 12-03-10, 10:16 AM   #140
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have done, it was fine
It didn't change very much then, think regency atleast should be able to vouch how screwed I was when weather changed suddenly to thick fog on the way to the gm (like midday!). I had a tinted visor on and couldn't see a flipping thing (literally), caught out big time - my stupid fault though.

I use a tinted pinlock now, can just whip it out if things get bad.