SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-11, 06:59 PM   #181
BaP

Default Re: Knee down

I think you could be right. Without a photo very hard to tell. As has been said - you feel like you're miles off the bike but in fact you're still pretty much sat on top of it. Trying to find the pics from the T/D as I remember being flashed at but no luck as of yet.

**** was back though. And knee very much out.
Old 25-08-11, 09:28 PM   #182
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
Bollox, I'm 2" tall .
Is that a typo? I'm sure you're nearer 2' tall

I find it impossible to keep my **** back
Old 25-08-11, 09:44 PM   #183
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I reckon BaP that you are aiming your knee at a right angle outwards, which will hurt and be more difficult to touchdown. It would also mean you weren't dropping your upper body position so your head it still on top of your bike but your **** is off.

You should be rotating around your tank so your knee is actually going forward and down rather than straight out.

This is me at Cadwell:
Kneedown.jpg

If you notice my **** is at a diagonal angle to the bike, so there I have rotated my body around the tank, shoulder is also slighty dropped but not much.

I guess the best thing you can do to help yourself is concentrate on getting your shoulder round and dropped a wee bit, the knee will automatically get round and dropped along with that.

And get into that position before the corner not during.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-11, 10:32 PM   #184
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Is that a typo? I'm sure you're nearer 2' tall

I find it impossible to keep my **** back
Son of a bit

Old 25-08-11, 10:53 PM   #185
Scythe92

I went out for a blast at the weekend, chicken strips are down to about 2-3mm but it felt as if my front end was going to slide out going around a roundabout, felt like I had lots of understeer which I'm sure isn't right!
Old 26-08-11, 08:56 AM   #186
Nick_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
I went out for a blast at the weekend, chicken strips are down to about 2-3mm but it felt as if my front end was going to slide out going around a roundabout, felt like I had lots of understeer which I'm sure isn't right!
Could be suspension not set up right or a cold front tires on the edges. I get it sometimes when I push on to early

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-11, 11:26 PM   #187
Cursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaP View Post
Sorry to bring this up again but need some input.

I was kindly allowed some time on the track at Castle Combe yesterday after helping out at The Bike Experience with Talan, The Idle Biker and co.

Conditions could not have been better, hot and grippy. Even with this, I still didn't manage to get my knee down. I did, however, scrape peg and toe and my tyre is worn right to the very edge. I had an instructor following me (for around 4 laps so I didn't get swallowed by faster riders) who said body position was fine and knee was close but no touch down.

Now, I don't think there's much more I can do given that peg and toes were on the floor, bum was right off the seat and my knee was pointing out so far it hurt. I think leaning further will just cause an accident? I don't know how much more you can lean over on an SV when the peg starts to scrape?

A few theories - I'm just too much of a short person with short legs.
Body position still not quite right and something that can't be seen from behind?
Also - perhaps a suspension set up problem? GSXR 2005 rear shock is in.

I've given up trying given that if it was going to happen - it would on a track and I'm not about to crash trying on a roundabout/corner. Just want to try and pin point a problem, if there is even one, for next time!
Ahem. Im pretty new to the forum, and I dont wanna get shot down, but I saw this and thought I could contribute.

Anyhow, I know alot of people have a problem with hanging off too much, so they then have to turn their crotch (haha he said crotch ) back in towards the bike to stay locked in, therefore when they stick their knee out, its not actually sticking out sideways, but more towards the front of the bike.

I realise you said you had an instructor follow you for a few laps, but I think it could be quite a hard thing to diagnose if you are only slightly too far off. Next time try and consciously make an effort to keep your whole body parrallel to the bike as you hang off, so if your **** is off 6 inches, your head is off 6 inches, and your core is off 6 inches.

One other thing you could try is putting the ball of your foot on the end of the peg, it makes a for a very good pivot point so you can comfortably get your knee out nice and far. The End .

Last edited by Cursed; 26-08-11 at 11:44 PM.
Old 26-08-11, 11:35 PM   #188
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
I reckon BaP that you are aiming your knee at a right angle outwards, which will hurt and be more difficult to touchdown. It would also mean you weren't dropping your upper body position so your head it still on top of your bike but your **** is off.

You should be rotating around your tank so your knee is actually going forward and down rather than straight out.

This is me at Cadwell:
Attachment 9809

If you notice my **** is at a diagonal angle to the bike, so there I have rotated my body around the tank, shoulder is also slighty dropped but not much.

I guess the best thing you can do to help yourself is concentrate on getting your shoulder round and dropped a wee bit, the knee will automatically get round and dropped along with that.

And get into that position before the corner not during.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on.
Hmmm, I usually stay out of stuff like this, but that is a really crossed up body position.

Rotating around the tank is a bad idea, especially keeping your chest head above the tank while sticking your @ss out. you need to keep your spine parallel with the centre line of the bike and shift your upper body to the inside as well.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-11, 11:52 PM   #189
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_69 View Post
Could be suspension not set up right or a cold front tires on the edges. I get it sometimes when I push on to early
Had been out on the bike for about two hours, so surely not?

Might look into getting it set up properly, but it doesn't have adjustable suspension do they?
Old 26-08-11, 11:55 PM   #190
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
Hmmm, I usually stay out of stuff like this, but that is a really crossed up body position.

Rotating around the tank is a bad idea, especially keeping your chest head above the tank while sticking your @ss out. you need to keep your spine parallel with the centre line of the bike and shift your upper body to the inside as well.
I was always told to try and get my body position to a point where I'd be looking through the mirror if it had one. Whole body off the bike, but spine parallel to the centre line, the one ar5e cheek you have on the seat should be at the back in the seat, ball of inside foot on the end of the peg and foot swivelled so heel is inwards and locked against the heelplate, outside leg braced against the tank putting weight onto the peg to steady the bike, elbows down and face looking through the corner at where you want to be. I tend to swivel slightly at the hips if I want to get my knee down because with these stumpy legs I need all the help I can get in that respect.

I'm no fantastic rider, but christ do I look like a riding god when I'm cornering at 30mph