SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-11, 05:39 PM   #1
lx_online

Question Chain fitting advice?

Hi Guys,

Could I get your advice please?

I have a new chain and sprocket set - I am happy taking everything apart and putting the new ones on, however I don't have a chain riveting tool. The local garage is 100m away and offered to do it for about £6.

Question is - in what state do I take the bike down there? At the moment (to save time so that when I arrive they just have to rivet), I'm thinking change the sprockets, put the new chain on and put the master link through (but not the side plate) and then try and wheel it down. Is this unsafe/could I knacker the new chain?

If so, I guess I could wheel it down there with no chain after changing the sprockets and then thread the chain through?

Cheers,
Alex.

PS - I'm trying to save myself the £35 quid to buy a tool I'll use once. And I'm not confident enough yet that I wouldn't create a tight spot by using the tool incorrectly.

Also - is it illegal to push a bike on the pavement?!
Old 23-09-11, 06:02 PM   #2
beabert

Default Re: Chain advice

I bought a used a clip link, i was gonna get it rivetted but have never got round to changing it. I always hammer it away from lights too, its been fine.
Old 24-09-11, 08:40 AM   #3
MattCollins

Walk it down with the chain off. Clip link will be fine too.

Another alternative is to take the chain down without the bike and have it riveted. Pull the swing arm out to service the often neglected bearings and put the chain in while re-assembling the swing arm.
Old 24-09-11, 08:43 AM   #4
lx_online

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCollins View Post
Walk it down with the chain off. Clip link will be fine too.

Another alternative is to take the chain down without the bike and have it riveted. Pull the swing arm out to service the often neglected bearings and put the chain in while re-assembling the swing arm.
Thanks for this Matt - this was the original idea I had, not sure why I let myself be persuaded by the dealer that it was "impossible".

At the moment I'm leaning towards walking it down with the chain off. Which will involve temporarily putting in on to enable me to use the back brake method to tighten up the front sprocket, then take it back off again
Old 24-09-11, 07:14 PM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx_online View Post
Thanks for this Matt - this was the original idea I had, not sure why I let myself be persuaded by the dealer that it was "impossible".

At the moment I'm leaning towards walking it down with the chain off. Which will involve temporarily putting in on to enable me to use the back brake method to tighten up the front sprocket, then take it back off again
Dealer is probably thinking of newer braced style swingarms where the chain passes through the gap in the middle and is actually impossible to fit with a riveter!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote