SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-08, 11:05 AM   #1
trinyquist

Question Crash bungs - these ok?

My girlfriend needs some crash bungs asap as she won't go out on her SV unless its fully protected (she's scared she'll drop it and scratch the immaculate bodywork, break indicators and all the usual stuff!).

I've been searching the 'org and found a few posts talking about motosliders and the like, but I was wondering if these would be any good? Also, in the listing it talks about cutting the fairings. She has a K5 SVS without the fairing lowers, so I can't think of what fairing would need to be cut (or is he just on about cutting the fairing lowers?). I have standard suzuki crash bungs on my SVS and they aren't anywhere near the top fairing.

So, should I get them for her? We need them to be delivered by next weekend as I will be back from uni so will be able to fit them.

Cheers in advance!
Old 04-04-08, 11:19 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Crash bungs - these ok?

I've no experience of those, but I'd imagine he's referring to the fairing lowers, not the standard SV650s bikini fairing.
Old 04-04-08, 11:25 AM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Not worth getting in my opinion, anything that bolts to either the front or rear cylinder is pretty much worthless as the bolts aren't strong enough. Motosliders are the best option now, used to be JHS but they nolonger make them, they will get to your door within a week of ordering too. R&G are popular, more applicable to road riders than racers though!

They are on about the lower fairings that would need cutting.
Old 04-04-08, 11:43 AM   #4
trinyquist

Just had a word with my girlfriend on her lunch break and she wants to get the best ones, so motosliders it is!

Cheers!
Old 04-04-08, 11:46 AM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinyquist View Post
Just had a word with my girlfriend on her lunch break and she wants to get the best ones, so motosliders it is!

Cheers!
Cheaper and stronger than the rest on the market, you'll need a Visa or Mastercard though as they are US based.

Old 04-04-08, 11:56 AM   #6
trinyquist

Found them on ebay here, so I can pay by paypal Cheers for your help Dave
Old 04-04-08, 11:59 AM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Yeap, they will do as they are also an official dealer of Motosliders.
Old 04-04-08, 12:33 PM   #8
Steve_God
Mega Poster

If you have fairing lowers (ie, fully faired and not just the bikini fairing), then get the R&Gs as they require no cutting of the fairing, and also replace the bracket that holds it in place with a FAR superior bracket, than that supplied with the fairing.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 01:00 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Those ones in the first auction will be bolting into the front engine bolt- bad idea, so even if they're well made (they do look OK) they're terribly conceived, that's a narrow location so the bugns need to be about 3 inches longer to offer the same protection as bungs on the main engine bolt.

R&G's are the other way round, the design concept is excellent but the execution's screwed, the bracket is rock solid but it doesn't matter because the bungs are too bendy, just an M10 bolt in those and the bung itself is narrow. They're certainly not bad but it's a missed opportunity, and nothing like as strong as Motosliders- also expensive, as are the replacement parts, I once wanted to order 2 bungs and one bolt for the R&Gs and the cost was almost the same as a whole set of Motosliders...

But maybe that tradeoff of strength and price is worth it for avoiding cutting the lowers for some folks. (if it is, you might want to speak to Nate at Motosliders direct, I think he's making a new design that'll fit with lowers).

Motosliders and GSG Moko are the smart options for now, and GSG Moko are harder to get spares for and more expensive. Are they more protective? Don't know.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 07:34 PM   #10
maultin

i got the motoslider frame & swing arm sliders. havent had to use them thankfully