SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 28-05-08, 11:19 AM   #1
Kneewhere?!

Default Track day tyre advice please

Hello all,

I've booked my first track day at Snetterton on 24th July. My current BT21s are starting to square off as I've been using the bike to commute up the motorway. I've got about 1-2 mm left before the wear markers in the middle of the tyre and loads left on the shoulders. I was planning to change them later this month but am now wondering whether to leave them on for the track day as there is so much rubber left on the shoulders and then arrange my replacement ones for the journey home.

There are two tyre techs at Snetterton. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 28-05-08, 04:54 PM   #2
Sosha

Default Re: Track day tyre advice please

If they're going to be just about knackered by the time you've got the track day I'd change them before - round tyre's way more fun than square ones - plus they'll look cool in the carpark for the rest of their natural...

Last edited by Sosha; 28-05-08 at 05:02 PM.
Old 28-05-08, 04:59 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Ride on them to the track, do a session on them or two and see how it goes. You might not notice they're a bit square - you'll be concentrating. It's your first time on track so you'll be wanting to take your time getting the lines right, finding braking markers etc not thinking about setting lap records by trying your hardest.

That's what I did on my first track day and I fell off

Last edited by Flamin_Squirrel; 28-05-08 at 05:02 PM.
Old 28-05-08, 11:11 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

I reckon, stick a new one on beforehand.

At the end of the day, it is only the sides that will get worn on the day, so what do you have to lose by putting new tyres on before the trackday?!!
Old 29-05-08, 12:58 PM   #5
Kneewhere?!

Cheers all, I'll get some nice new ones fitted beforehand. Common sense tells me that it'll give me one less thing to flap about on the day...but the clincher was the pose value of snotty tyres when I get home!
Old 22-07-08, 12:53 AM   #6
Kneewhere?!

More help needed. My Sv got rear ended by a 4x4 recently and was written off. I replaced it with a 'blade on avaon viper tyres. I still want sticky track rubber (cos I'm scared) Does anyone know what tyres/services are available at track side?
Old 22-07-08, 06:36 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneewhere?! View Post
More help needed. My Sv got rear ended by a 4x4 recently and was written off. I replaced it with a 'blade on avaon viper tyres. I still want sticky track rubber (cos I'm scared) Does anyone know what tyres/services are available at track side?
Depends who is the event organiser and which track. The big guys - Focused/Hottrax usual offer a tyre service, but how the deals compare to other places and the range they carry, I don't know. They will also swap tyres on rims as well for a few quid.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-08, 06:42 PM   #8
Kneewhere?!

Cheers, will take some pocket money and keep my fingers crossed. Will let you all know how I get on.
Old 24-07-08, 09:27 PM   #9
Kneewhere?!

Successfully completed trackday. Didn't crash, but came close. Avon viper tyres were far better than I needed. Had a fantastic day as it was a beginners only event. There were some really quick chaps there but they were all on best behaviour and staff and riders were very friendly. There was NO tyre dude available which negates this entire thread. I went super fast, got my knee down and felt like a hero. Still recon a well driven moped would have passed me in the corners though!!
Old 24-07-08, 09:46 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneewhere?! View Post
Successfully completed trackday. Didn't crash, but came close. Avon viper tyres were far better than I needed. Had a fantastic day as it was a beginners only event. There were some really quick chaps there but they were all on best behaviour and staff and riders were very friendly. There was NO tyre dude available which negates this entire thread. I went super fast, got my knee down and felt like a hero. Still recon a well driven moped would have passed me in the corners though!!
Good stuff, so when is your next one!?!?!