SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-11, 09:47 PM   #1
bigbill

Default Cornering confidence - how long?

was just wondering how long it took some of you to get full confidence of getting your sv properly lent over, as i seem to be lacking confidence in getting it over especially on left hander's, i have put it down to my accident i had on my supermoto in may as i used to have cranked over as far as the last rubber atom would stretch ( and then struggle to get it up rite again as it was a under powered donkey
Old 22-09-11, 10:08 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cornering confidence - how long?

it'll take time to build confidence and trust with the bike. One day on the right road and the right corner you'll tip it in and have the biggest grin on your face.
When i get new tyres i'll usually go out for a days riding, something like 400 miles. By the end of the day the tyres are scrubbed in and i've learnt how they feel.
Use them on all sorts of roads and surfaces and learn the feedback you get from the road.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 10:10 PM   #3
bigbill

its coming up 3 months and about 2500miles
Old 22-09-11, 10:33 PM   #4
Ed

I was discussing this very issue with another member of the org's off club only 2 days ago. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I still have a mental block after coming off badly on a left hander in June 2004 The answer is to push it very very slowly, so those stupid right brain messages ('back off, you're going to crash!') don't register your progress.
Old 22-09-11, 10:35 PM   #5
bigbill

yehh i get what you mean my dad and all his racing buddys are suggesting i do a track day to boost my confidence
Old 22-09-11, 10:36 PM   #6
Ed

I tried that. Well, CSS1 - and hated it, I put a brave face on it, even on here, but I can honestly say I couldn't wait to get off the track, it scared me ****less.
Old 22-09-11, 10:38 PM   #7
bigbill

see ive been gagging to get on track for ages so i dont know think i might give it abit longer
Old 22-09-11, 10:40 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I don't think anyone has such thing as "full" confidence, just some have a point of comfort which is pretty far over.
No answer to this. It depends on your personality, personally I've fallen off (low speed highside) and been back riding 200 miles down to wales, usual pace the same day. The bike wasn't bad and I was only mildly concussed and bruised. New lid and off you go. But no broken bones, no bad damage to sort out, and a very "safe" crash, no particular risk of death to frighten yourself if you know what I mean, MTFU and get on with it. I've had another one that took weeks to get back to where I was in terms of confidence, because I couldn't see what had folded the front, it just went.

Whatever the seriousness of the off the only cure is to get out there and do it, go have some fun, get some miles under the wheels. Find someone quick who's prepared to slow down to your pace so you can hang on their coat tails at a pace just a mite above your comfort zone.

And it also depends on your personality, I know Ed struggles with it, I also know a guy who had serious injuries and was back on a bike and riding as far as I could see at 99% of his previous pace before he could walk. But he's dead now, so probably not the best example hey.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 22-09-11 at 10:42 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 10:40 PM   #9
Ed

Well you never know... depends on cost I spose, and how much you'd be wasting if you hated it or weren't up to it. In my case £299 that I couldn't afford.

Chris - hard to MTFU with a mashed pelvis!

Last edited by Ed; 22-09-11 at 10:42 PM.
Old 22-09-11, 10:45 PM   #10
bigbill

well id say my accident was fairly bad as i hit a curb at about 50 mph the smashed through a pub sign that was over a concrete bollard and i couldent walk for three weeks but i got back on the bike as soon as i could sit comfortably