SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 26-03-12, 05:41 AM   #1
Small Clanger

Default Track day tyre pressure

Unfortunately, I did'nt get an owners manual for the Curvy but I'll guess at 32r/36f for the tyres at general road use.
Would 28r/30f for a dry track and 32f/32r for a wet track sound about right?

I've just had some SportSmarts put on the Ducati, may go with some on the SV too.

Cheers.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 13-05-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 27-03-12, 09:08 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track day tyre pressure

If those are cold pressures that sounds like a good place to start.
Just one thing though, my Dunlop D211s run very low rear pressures (18 cold), the SportSmart isn't the same is it?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 05:43 AM   #3
Small Clanger

Cheers, RH
I'm going down to Bike Tyres of Leeds for a set of Michelin P/R3's later this morning, they're on offer with free fitting to bike @ the moment so I'll ask them or get Michelins Techie number.

I've been in touch with Dunlop technical and they say 34/34 wet track and 30f/28r dry track for the SportSmarts on the Ducati, based on the recommended normal road pressures. I had originally planned to do Snetterton on the Ducati but it was the thought of binning it that led me to get the SV. Not that I'm planning to bin the SV of course but the amount I paid for it was rather less than, for instance, the Termignioni carbon cans on the Ducati!
Never done a track day before. Apprehensive, but I'm sure it'll be O.K.
Old 29-03-12, 09:54 PM   #4
The Idle Biker

Theres usually a tyre speciallist around selling tyres, changing wheels and providing advise. I'm amazed at how low pressures can be, compared to standard road use you can go. I rode on 26 front 23 rear on a hot day earlier this month.

Where is your Trackday? This guy Stef covers Snet, Mallory, Cadwell, Rockingham and others. He's a top bloke and always willing to advise and check without charge. Give him a call and see if he'll be at your Track day.

http://www.tyres4bikes.co.uk/