SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-10, 08:55 AM   #61
Bri w

Default Re: Your thoughts for AR11

for Northumberland; based near Bellingham, giving a tentative rideout of Bellingham to Hawick to Brampton to Haltwhistle and back to Bellingham. approx 150 miles and circumnavigating Keilder National Park.

A bit further south, based near Alston. With a rough idea of rideout via Hartside, Crook, Hexham and back to Alston, a distance of approx 120 miles.

Both routes can be extended, or shortened, without changing the nature of the rides. Other orgers, who live closer to those areas will have a better idea of routes, and probable campsites.

Chateau Bri w is available, with 3 spare rooms and garden for anyone wishing to break the journey up.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 08:56 AM   #62
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Perhaps as the OP has raised the first question, and has replied to so many orgers suggestions, maybe she could organise it again next time!
Yes....Essex
Old 14-08-10, 09:08 AM   #63
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

How about Yorkshire Dales etc?

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 09:11 AM   #64
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
Well I think I can safely say that all those who went to the Annual Rideout 2010 had a fantastic time Many thanks to all those who organised, led, TEC'd, marked and attended it to make it so splendid. But time marches relentlessly on. AR10 has gone and is now no more than fond memories and a one stop photo thread

Next question is, therefore, what about next year? AR11

Some questions to get you started -

Where should it be?
When should it be?
What are the absolute basic essentials?
What are the desirable extras?

And most importantly, who is willing to put their head above the parapet and take on the awesome job that is the

sv650.org Annual Rideout 2011

And please don't use this thread for any whinges or arguments. It's just a place to throw around a few ideas and get people thinking. Mwah xxx
I dunno, maybe we should just bin the idea, after all it took 5 days to pass after the last one for anyone to start a thread about the next one - that level of apathy just suggests that no-one would come.

So, maybe just skip 2011 and head on to 2012?

LOL - wherever it is I know that

a) I wont be organising it,

and

b) will, if I can, turn up no matter where it is.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 09:45 AM   #65
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
. . . Cant really offer up East Anglia - far too flat and dull, we do have good roads but compared to what the rest of you ride on a regular basis you'd be pretty unimpressed!!
That's what a number of people said about AR09 & why I believe some people didn't bother coming - and what a boring ride that turned out to be, didn't it ?!!

Whilst not directly concermed with AR11 (sorry !!) I've had an idea that I'd like 'to put out there' for others comments -

The last 2 ARs have both been excellent - yes I'll admit I'm biased about AR09 but why not, I'm proud of what Sally achieved with my little contribution being the rideout - and from what I understand there have been some other outstanding ones in recent years as well; so, why not re-visit these on a rota basis moving around the country as we do so ?

Who says that each year we have to have a different venue? It would seem to me that we (The Org) should now have enough contacts with 'good' venues to make the organisation much easier & more simple - it doesn't have to be the same people each time they could easily hand the 'info packs' over to others & I'm sure that routes could be tweaked to provide some variety.
Old 14-08-10, 10:05 AM   #66
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
While Ireland would be cool it would be a bit expensive getting over there both in time and money... not to mention the poor roads and constant rain.
The weather I can deal with, in my experience roads in the ROI are bl**dy awful once you get off the main ones. Not fun with a rideout group the size we had last weekend.

As for rotating it around to previous venues, well thats fine, but I'm putting my hand up now and saying I am not running another one. Its far to stressful and I am not putting myself or Liz through that again.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 10:18 AM   #67
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Voxy, I think that your idea is a very good one. Fizz and I had a little chat about this as it makes sense to use venues that are already proven to be able to cope with us as I have a feeling that with the numbers this year (for which I can't take credit...Hovis can) they are just going to get bigger and bigger!

Going on where I've been...

AR08 venue - capable of fitting a fair few more tents in and the roads are fab (I wasn't on the ride, but they are some of my fav roads outside Wales to ride now).

AR09 venue - capable of fitting a fair few more tents, don't know the roads but didn't hear any complaints.

AR10 venue - able to fit up to 500 tents/1000 people so no worries there and the roads, well.....this years was just one of MANY routes that can be done from there into Wales OR the Midlands.

I personally would LOVE to see a rideout in Yorkshire as Drew said because I love it up there and there are some incredible passes with amazing scenery. I would like a rideout in the lakes/peakes but I feel the roads may be a challenge with 100+ bikes.

Regards what MetalAngel said...lol. The receptionist probably said that because I've tentatively booked a few different weekends for next year as if I wait, they'll book up and I don't want to miss out on a WelshTT there next year. It's 3 phone calls and done when the AR is decided upon. Probably take on Elan Valley and some of the other fab roads, maybe even the two 270 degree constant radius bends for photo ops.

Whoever organises next year, I'll just say this...organising something for what turned out to be 160ish people was a piece of pish. I am not just saying that. I think I had about 10 email conversations with the other organisers since the date was set. I had the original catering van cancel 6 weeks before the event, big deal...NOT. Had two others lined up within 24 hours.

It's not a stressful thing to do so long as you remember that it's not a competition with the previous year...they are all different and SHOULD be all different in theur own ways. You have to remember you can't please all the people all the time, so don't sweat it when 3 people don't like something that 100+ other people love. Just try to accomodate as much as you can.

When I agreed to help Hovis, everyone told us both we were mad as near the time it would go crazy and we'd be pulling our hair out. It didn't happen.

I'm very glad I did it, I'd happliy do it again and so I can say to anyone thinking about doing it....JUST GO FOR IT. Pm me and other previous organisers if you want

EDIT: Just read Fizzwheels post so yes, maybe it can be stressful and I had an easy run. I remember the run up to AR08 and I wouldn't have wanted to swap places with the organisers!

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 14-08-10 at 10:21 AM.
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 10:26 AM   #68
Bri w

Repeating past AR's isn't a bad idea. A fair number of Orgers won't have been on them.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 10:55 AM   #69
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Regarding the stress, etc of organising an AR - I wouldn't know, I just did the rideoute ie the easy bit !!

However, if we were to use previous venues I believe that there would be a lot less stress & hassle involved as one of the biggest 'problems' would be sorted - that of finding a suitable venue that we know will be ok.

Put it this way, if the AR ever comes back to Essex and Sally wants a break I'd be happy to take it on !!
Old 14-08-10, 11:17 AM   #70
tinpants
Ubique

There are loads of places I'd love to go to for an AR. Scotland, North Wales, South Wales (again) Cumbria and The Lakes, Somerset / Dorset (again). As for putting down roots for the AR and running it from the same venue each year, I can see good and bad points for it. Good points (that I can think of) everyone knows where the venue is and roughly whats on offer, the route can be tweaked or altered. Bad points: not everyone will want to travel a long way to get to the same venue - although I doubt if Bill will be coming along every year!! I personally think the AR needs to be rotated around the country year on year otherwise it stands the chance of becoming stale and boring. I would be happy to see a return to previous venues as well.

Just my 2p.