SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-10, 06:59 AM   #1
kellyjo

Default Considering IAM.

Im 39, been riding a year (8k miles under my belt) and considering advanced training.
I have all the theory in my head from books and dvds, but I think maybe more training would help me practically, and possibly point out some obvious things that I may have missed along the way. Ive had no training since my DAS last year and feel as though I'm 'self taught'.

I know all the jokes about IAM being for old men with BMWs, pipes and slippers but what is the reality?

The Cambs group seem to have a busy itinerary of rideouts, skills days etc.. and it does appeal to me.

Is it something a rider in my position would be ready for?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but appreciate your comments, especially from those who've done the training with roughly the same amount of riding behind them as i have.

Over to you...
Old 21-05-10, 07:29 AM   #2
Essex of Essex

Thumbs up Re: Considering IAM...

My group suggests a year after test so you're fine with that, go along to a meeting and say hello, it may be possible to have a ride with an observer and get an opinion on your riding.

When I did mine I found it sorted out all sorts of things for me and I enjoy the bike a lot more as a result, at that time I was entirely self taught no CBT when I started. I now observe for my group and the noticable areas that people can find quick improvements in are road positioning, bend assessment and observation, think how many times we hear of people running out of road having gone into a bend at an innappropriate speed and with the bike in the wrong place on the road; sometimes it's frightening others painful and on a bad day fatal.

It's good fun educational, and you get to meet another group of motorclists on top of the great bunch on here
Old 21-05-10, 07:47 AM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Considering IAM...

Did mine a year or so ago and would recommend it highly to anyone.

The pipe & slippers stigma is ********, our group's a good laugh and a good bunch with it.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-10, 07:47 AM   #4
suzsv650

Default Re: Considering IAM...

im doing it atm with my brother hes 19 im 22, we are the youngest there with SS600's its quite good, my instructor is fun and the rides are cool even if you have to stick to the limits religiously...
Old 21-05-10, 08:31 AM   #5
darylB

Default Re: Considering IAM.

If i were you i'd definately go along and see how it works and ask for an assessment, most groups will offer a free one to see if you like it, I did mine 2 years ago and am now an observer, it definately changes your perception of riding and how vunerable you are. personally i don't smoke a pipe, do wear slippers, old i may be (over 50) i prefer middle aged and do not ride a BMW, (yamaha thundercat). Two of my ex associates have had near misses and both have said that before the training the outcome would have been definate accidents. Go along and see if you still feel the need to do the training, and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find. At least you have realised that Advanced training may help you have more fun on the bike while being a lot safer and smoother.

Daryl.
Old 21-05-10, 08:46 AM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Apart from what has already been mentioned what it will also do is raise your hazard awareness, meaning hopefully you spot a bad situation before it gets to the point that it actually becomes an issue. You just would not believe how often motorcyclists put themselves at potential risk when it can be so easily avoided, just little things like timing a filter or overtake so the subject vehicle is less likely to move out on you. Good luck, you should have great fun.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-10, 09:35 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I went out with local IAM guy, really nice guy even if he was old with a BMW. (honestly, bang on the stereotype, just didn't smell of p*ss).
If I'm honest most of the advice he gave was absolutely spot on and I would definitely recommend going out for a run with an observer... even if I didn't think the local group was for me.
Old 21-05-10, 09:40 AM   #8
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

I'm considering loads of training this year but all my money is being sucked down the plug hole towards mods & bling. Thinking IAM for observations and california superbike school for proper education on cornering and machine control/learning the limits of the bike etc. CSS is fecking expensive but looks exciting, IAM looks challenging but will save money on insurance. Decisions

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-10, 09:42 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I looked into this, no training makes your insurance any cheaper than what it costs in itself.

£140+ on IAM would make my insurance, wait for it, £5 cheaper.
Old 21-05-10, 09:43 AM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

might blow the money on a tracker instead then £1000 tracker (?) on an £1800 bike muahaha steal this if you dare guys

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote