SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-13, 03:19 PM   #1
stranger12

Default sv650 oil in the intake manifold

hi All,

Whenever I rev my sv650 , I can see my oil level dropped .

When I opened my airbox there is some oil in the box which if you look at it , there is a filter in there that has a pipe connected to the cylinder head i think so all oil vapours etc goes to the intake manifold to be burned off.

Does that mean my rings are on their was as the oil is getting pass the piston rings when reved or is it normal ?

As above I believe the pipe is connected to the cylinder head but if it is the crank case then i guess there is nothing to worry about and this is normal , correct ?

finally how often do you change oil and do you change your filter at the same time ?

Many thanks in advance
Old 16-12-13, 04:05 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650 oil in the intake manifold

Several queries here, we'll go through them individually:
1) Oil is changed as per the service schedule every 3,000 ish miles.
2) Oil filter changed every other oil change from memory, but many change it every time.
3) Oil type to be used is here
4) When you rev the engine,the speed of the oil pump picks up as it's driven by the engine. more oil is pumped from the sump to where it is needed: The whirling hot bits. When the engine idles more oil returns through the oil channels to the sump. You can see it all being moved around in there by the gearbox and oil pump. This is a good thing.
5) The crank case breather pipes deal with the fact that as pistons rise and fall the volume in the crank case effectively gets greater and less. When it gets less the extra air has to go somewhere, when it grows the vacuum must be filled. The excess air is vented into / drawn from the air box. The filter exists to keep the amount of oil carried with that air down to a minimum, but inevitably some makes it past to be burned off. The front breather connects to the base of the front cylinder, not the head, and the rear one is just at the top of the gearbox, by the base of the rear cylinder.

HTH
Jambo
Old 16-12-13, 05:39 PM   #3
stranger12

many thanks for taking time and replying .

using the information below, I take it the rev and oil lost is normal due to the high rev nature of my bike.

by the way do you know the compression ratio on sv650 ?
will it be more than car which is usually 10:1 or 9:1 or 11 sometimes.
Old 16-12-13, 06:30 PM   #4
stranger12

is filtrex a good oil filter brand ?

I am using castrol power racing fully synthetic for my oil
Old 16-12-13, 06:47 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Compression ratio is listed as 11.5:1 in my Haynes.

When you rev the engine oil is moved faster by the oil pump. More of it is elsewhere in the engine at any given moment. The oil is circulating the motor, if you turn the bike off it all drains back to the sump.

I'm afraid I don't know much about filtrex filters.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 16-12-13, 09:00 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Does it actually use oil so you need to keep topping it up?If not no problem.
Old 16-12-13, 09:33 PM   #7
stranger12

it does yes, so the level goes down and I have to top it up which is why I asked and started to get worried.

what brands should I go for when changing filter ? I guess any brand would be fine but though I get some ideas.

I could always go to a dealer but they are far from me
Old 17-12-13, 05:09 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Go buy a OEM filter they're only about £10.

Check the airbox drain hose, that maybe full of crap. That killed an air filter on mine a couple of years ago. Are you checking the oil hot or cold and upright?

Also it will start drinking oil if its past its service life. I've found 4k upwards makes them thirsty as the oil has the consistency of coke.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-13, 06:03 PM   #9
stranger12

I am checking it up right and cold .

I bought the K&N for £10 which waiting for it to arrive .

re burning oil, when I bought the bike, it had 24k on and dealer said it has just been serviced and now it is 27.5 so thought it is ok to change it after 4-5 k.

last night when I got home after the ride, there was a bit of smoke coming up from the fork. It smelled like a burnet oil but couldn't narrow it down . all pipes etc are all good and in mint condition so not really sure what that smell was. it looked like as if the bike was on fire.

I should say it was raining thus maybe the rain on the engine and exhust pipe has caused it too cool down and produce smoke and maybe there was some old oil on the pipe which I don't think it was as the pipe was all clean

so this has left me in wonder of where that smell came from

in meatime, I did buy 4 liter of oil and waiting for it to arrive and then change it
Old 17-12-13, 07:17 PM   #10
stuR

Never had an isue with filtrex filters, and theyre only £6 or so. That 'smoke' just sounds like steam, which isd perfectly normal for the exhaust area when its raining/rained. This will smell like hot bike which is what you might have smelt