SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 05-05-16, 08:05 PM   #651
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

The Trip arrived today. I feel morally obliged to go and test it out this weekend.:
Actually, I'm going to a gig next week. Do you guys reckon it's worth experimenting or will the combination of low light and low shutter speeds make it not worthwhile?
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 08:44 PM   #652
Kenzie

Glad it arrived ok! You can try night tripping. You need to set the camera to f2.8 and use 400iso film but it depends on how much light there is. Have fun!

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 08:52 AM   #653
Kenzie

Are you lot nocturnal? Only see replies late at night!

Sent from my Xperia T
Old 06-05-16, 09:05 AM   #654
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It's the sunlight, it buuuuuuurns

At f2.8 you're going to need the longest shutter times even with a fast film, you really need f1.8 or ideally less - that's 2 stops or more faster for low light. The dog picture I posted on page 58 was 1/30th and f1.2 with 400ISO film (though I suspect it's not really as fast as that in truth). f1.2 is almost 3 stops faster than f2.8 so at f2.8 you'd need a shutter time of no less than 1/4 second, and by then the film will start to show some reciprocity failure i.e. light collected is no longer directly proportional to exposure time but is less than expected. 1/30 is fine for things not moving at all, but I can't take many pictures of my daughter at that speed as she never stands really still, even when posing. So, give it a go but I wouldn't expect much to be honest.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 06:38 PM   #655
Kenzie

Its a bit darker so you can come out now. The Trip won't shoot any faster than iso 400 and 1/30th I think is what you will get if you try night tripping. You need some light to get anything good so a dark gig won't work.
Old 06-05-16, 06:47 PM   #656
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Did you fix your Yashica Lynx?
Old 06-05-16, 06:54 PM   #657
Kenzie

It works on all of the settings above 125 I think, but I haven't shot it in a while as the collection continues to grow (no, you can't rob it for the blades) Just expanded by an Argus Argoflex seventy five. There was an OM-10 with case and 50mm lens in with the Ricoh but didn't pick it up. Wish I had as I would have donated the camera and kept the case.

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Old 06-05-16, 06:56 PM   #658
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I am still looking for a donor, was wondering if I picked up a Lynx if you needed anything off it
Old 06-05-16, 07:26 PM   #659
Kenzie

I think it's all in good order, but thanks for the offer. Needs a cla but for a camera I paid £5 I hardly think it's worth doing. Will keep an eye out for a donor as I seem to be having luck at car boot sales at the mo.

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Old 06-05-16, 07:29 PM   #660
yokohama

I'm not usually home until early evening. Tend to have a quick look on here and then go to bed early. Sad really.
I used to take a lot of concert photos in the past but they were with OM2s and a Vivitar series 1 70-210. Great lens which the Co-op camera centre lost when I put it in for a clean and service, (somehow, there were insects living in it.)

With the trip for a gig, I'd need to get close and on manual, I think 1./40th shutter speed would be too low and blurry. Conversely, the Dacora, probably a much inferior lens, has a 200th shutter speed - too high with f2.8, even if I lower the ASA to compensate a bit.
I do have one of these in the attic though
http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/corc/his...zoom_oz120.jpg
not exactly vintage but over 20 years old with a zoom, spot metering and a healthy appetite for lithium batteries. I could give that a go. Otherwise it's the TZ9
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote