SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 28-04-08, 08:58 PM   #1
El Saxo

Question Help finding a campsite in the Lakes please!

I hereby bow to the fountain of campsite knowledge that is the Pennine Massive lol

I know it's short notice, but can someone please recommend me a campsite in the Lakes for this weekend? I did post in IB last week that we were going to Whitby but apparently the plan has changed. I'm always the last to know...

I know of Sykeside already but my mates didn't sound too keen - mainly cos the website mentions a 'noise deposit' of £100 per night for groups of campers - I'm guessing this means if they think you're too noisy you lose £300 as a group (cos we'll be staying fri, sat & sun night)!! Seems a bit harsh to me. On that subject - how did you all get on when you stayed there for the North / South run last year (those of you that went)? IIRC some of you were up enjoying a nightcap into the wee hours - did you get any complaints about noise?

Requirements are:

1) Ideally somewhere near Ambleside cos my mates love the place.
2) Somewhere that won't mind the bit of noise we'll inevitably make, being a group of 7 or 8 twenty-somethings who will have had a few drinks

And that's about it - no need for it to cater for bikes and bikers as I am the only one of our group not impaired with two extra wheels and so won't be taking the SV (which also means I get a free lift to the Lakes for the weekend! ).

TIA

Andy
Old 28-04-08, 09:18 PM   #2
rob13

Default Re: Help finding a campsite in the Lakes please!

I cant really think of any around Windermere that are pro group campers. They all tend to be family places around there.

I can however recommend www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk as they have taken us in a group before. Couple of nearby watering holes too.
Old 28-04-08, 09:42 PM   #3
Sevorg

Not near Ambleside but if you get yourself over the Hard Knott Pass to Eskdale there is a great private site who don't mind groups, OR CAMP FIRES! Me and a few mates stayed there last year. I forget the name but it's on the right about half a mile before the pub on the junction. The pub does good food, oh and they have something like 300 different types of single malt.

Finding pro group sites is tricky. Thought about a wild camp??

Second thoughts - I think Hawkshead might be ok. 3 pubs close by too.
Old 28-04-08, 09:54 PM   #4
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
I hereby bow to the fountain of campsite knowledge that is the Pennine Massive lol

I know it's short notice, but can someone please recommend me a campsite in the Lakes for this weekend? I did post in IB last week that we were going to Whitby but apparently the plan has changed. I'm always the last to know...

I know of Sykeside already but my mates didn't sound too keen - mainly cos the website mentions a 'noise deposit' of £100 per night for groups of campers - I'm guessing this means if they think you're too noisy you lose £300 as a group (cos we'll be staying fri, sat & sun night)!! Seems a bit harsh to me. On that subject - how did you all get on when you stayed there for the North / South run last year (those of you that went)? IIRC some of you were up enjoying a nightcap into the wee hours - did you get any complaints about noise?

Requirements are:

1) Ideally somewhere near Ambleside cos my mates love the place.
2) Somewhere that won't mind the bit of noise we'll inevitably make, being a group of 7 or 8 twenty-somethings who will have had a few drinks

And that's about it - no need for it to cater for bikes and bikers as I am the only one of our group not impaired with two extra wheels and so won't be taking the SV (which also means I get a free lift to the Lakes for the weekend! ).

TIA

Andy
have used sykeside in 2006 30 odd bikers and 2007 15-20 bikers

never heard anything about a request for a noise deposit (and we would not have been that quiet

easy answer then arrive about 20 mins apart and just pitch near each other, then your not a group just some like minded individuals

p.s. those rambler types made more carry on and noise than we ever did.

just looked on the website and its groups of over ten "how many of you are going" ?

Last edited by amarko5; 28-04-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 28-04-08, 09:59 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

err I did get told off there for laughing too loud
Old 28-04-08, 10:02 PM   #6
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
I cant really think of any around Windermere that are pro group campers. They all tend to be family places around there.

I can however recommend www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk as they have taken us in a group before. Couple of nearby watering holes too.
Thanks mate, will check that one out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevorg View Post
Not near Ambleside but if you get yourself over the Hard Knott Pass to Eskdale there is a great private site who don't mind groups, OR CAMP FIRES! Me and a few mates stayed there last year. I forget the name but it's on the right about half a mile before the pub on the junction. The pub does good food, oh and they have something like 300 different types of single malt.

Finding pro group sites is tricky. Thought about a wild camp??

Second thoughts - I think Hawkshead might be ok. 3 pubs close by too.
I think I've been in that pub near Eskdale - I stayed in Ravenglass a couple of years ago and we did a bit of a pub crawl on the miniature railway - I definitely remember a pub wher the landlord actually had a whisky menu - we got chatting to him and stayed in there for quite a while!
Old 28-04-08, 10:04 PM   #7
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Thanks mate, will check that one out

I think I've been in that pub near Eskdale - I stayed in Ravenglass a couple of years ago and we did a bit of a pub crawl on the miniature railway - I definitely remember a pub wher the landlord actually had a whisky menu - we got chatting to him and stayed in there for quite a while!

theres a campsite at wasdalehead as well limited choice of 1 watering hole though.

http://www.wasdaleweb.co.uk/NTcampsite/wasdalehead.htm

or ambleside campsites http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/to...town=Ambleside

Last edited by amarko5; 28-04-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 28-04-08, 10:11 PM   #8
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5 View Post
have used sykeside in 2006 30 odd bikers and 2007 15-20 bikers

never heard anything about a request for a noise deposit (and we would not have been that quiet

easy answer then arrive about 20 mins apart and just pitch near each other, then your not a group just some like minded individuals

p.s. those rambler types made more carry on and noise than we ever did.

just looked on the website and its groups of over ten "how many of you are going" ?
Hi Mark, thought it was you that knew the campsite well. The way I read their site was that groups were allowed up to a max of 10 people, but the noise deposit bit doesn't mention group size There are 7 or 8 of us going - 2 couples among that number so I guess they could book seperately and then me & whoever's left could ring up and book another pitch. We'll all arrive in the same cars though

Can't hurt to ring tomorrow and ask I suppose - I really wanted to give the place a try, it was just my mates who were put off.
Old 28-04-08, 10:12 PM   #9
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5 View Post
theres a campsite at wasdalehead as well limited choice of 1 watering hole though.

http://www.wasdaleweb.co.uk/NTcampsite/wasdalehead.htm

or ambleside campsites http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/to...town=Ambleside
hehe, must have been posting at the same time, so thanks once more

Plenty of ringing round to do tomorrow methinks
Old 28-04-08, 10:17 PM   #10
Scottie205

Hi, I am new to this but seen the thread so thought I would add my bit. The three chimney's Camp site in Coniston is Very friendly and really Nice. It is placed on the lake Coniston at the foot of the Old Man mountain. Nice ride into Windermere and Ambleside.