SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-10, 10:04 AM   #1
600+

Default Career Advice

I have been looking into doing an MBA......probably not in the next year but soon after that.

Any of you have an opinion on the subject? What reasons would you give for wanting to do one? I am in between minds and there is not enough info on the web to sway me to a yes or no answer.

In terms of what I do:

IT Service Manager for 7 years, completing my ITIL qualifications this year. So all papers in place Also got two degrees from uni.

Any help to make up my mind would be greatly appreciated
Old 23-03-10, 10:49 AM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Career Advice

I'd only do one if it was funded and supported by an employer. It's an expensive business funding yourself through one, more so in a ****e and unstable economy. A degree is hardly worth the paper it's printed on (I paid £25k for my sheet of A4).

Not wanting to put you off, but I'd ask myself:

why you'd want to do one
will it pay for itself (which may not necessarily matter to you)
can you manage to do it without sacrificing too much of your work/home life
Old 23-03-10, 11:01 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Surely IT is a sector where work experience and a brainis considerably more valuable than a piece of paper received after doing a detailed dissertation on a random subject.

I wouldn't bother, unless of course you do the work on a topic you have no clue about for CPD.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-10, 11:13 AM   #4
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
why you'd want to do one
will it pay for itself (which may not necessarily matter to you)
can you manage to do it without sacrificing too much of your work/home life
At the moment the only reason to do one is for increasing my knowledge & understanding on the topics they teach. Also build on the Networking aspect which obviously depends on which school you go to It also seems that is a good ticket through to executive level positions.

It will pay for itself in its long run.

I would probably take a year off or stretch and do it part time while working with some sort of arrangement with work. Work would end up paying for it as I cannot afford £50k at the moment.

But I'm not sure that it's worth that amount of money. There must be something else I'm missing that an MBA offers!!!
Old 23-03-10, 11:16 AM   #5
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Surely IT is a sector where work experience and a brainis considerably more valuable than a piece of paper received after doing a detailed dissertation on a random subject.

I wouldn't bother, unless of course you do the work on a topic you have no clue about for CPD.
You are correct but don't forget that I'm not technical, I manage tech teams and customer expectations.

And my aim is to achieve an executives position in the next 10 years.
Old 23-03-10, 11:16 AM   #6
Bri w

I've gotten a lot from it. It is a hard course and it will certainly take you away from what you're used to, especially the financial aspect.

As someone else has posted, is it relevant for what you want/need and do you want to do it?

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-10, 11:19 AM   #7
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
I've gotten a lot from it. It is a hard course and it will certainly take you away from what you're used to, especially the financial aspect.

As someone else has posted, is it relevant for what you want/need and do you want to do it?

What I want is an executive position in the next 10 years. So my question has been doI need an MBA to reach that level? Or will an MBA speed up the trip to reach that level?

Where did you do yours Bri? And more importantly WHY did you choose to do it?
Old 23-03-10, 11:26 AM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
What I want is an executive position in the next 10 years. So my question has been doI need an MBA to reach that level? Or will an MBA speed up the trip to reach that level?
You just need a private school education, a wealthy father with contacts and an oxbridge network
Old 23-03-10, 11:34 AM   #9
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
You just need a private school education, a wealthy father with contacts and an oxbridge network
Well I've got the education
Can't get a wealthy father
But the oxbridge network could be obtained from an MBA
Old 23-03-10, 11:46 AM   #10
Bri w

I did mine via OU.

The WHY is quite simple; I'm an engineer by trade. I was excellent with the tools, and good at building relationships with customers and other engineers. Typically in the UK if you are a decent engineer you can end up getting promoted to the level of your incompetence, i.e. manager.

Having gone through the engineer, senior engineer, team leader, the company I work for grew their business to the point they needed regional service managers. It was soon apparent that although I could motivate my Team, and build a relationship with the customers I couldn't sustain the growth in business with the skills I had.

An awful lot of the soft skills I inherently had needed refining from two aspects. One, I was clumsy, and two, the refined skills mean I save time by directing my energies in a more focussed manner.

I also had to learn financial mgt pretty quick. I have targets, cost centres and budgets (a good few £mill). This has been the harder of the two to learn, although I have found an awful lot of what I've learned doesn't fit into what I need.

The route I chose has meant a longer time scale, which has worked against me from an advancement persepctive but I was relatively late into mgt anyway. Although it hasn't stopped my employer talking to me about level 2 mgt.

The networking that you can get from being in Uni would undoubtably help but I've had no problems communicating within the industry, and perhaps more importantly have had a number of approaches with offers of employment which suggests I'm half decent at what I do.

I would say go for it from two perspectives. The extra skills you learn, and the credibility it still has as a qualification, i.e. its viewed far better than a degree in mgt science.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote