SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-16, 10:45 PM   #1
Lumpy

Default Clock change

Hi , can't find any info . I would like to put a single round speedo on my year 2000 (cheep and cheerful ) readily available on e bay at not a lot of money . Has anyone fitted one . Ta
Old 30-11-16, 04:37 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clock change

TamSv put an electronic one on his cafe racer, you might be able to find his build thread in his threads.

Im sure other folk have done similar, Vapour electronic dashes are popular
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-16, 07:49 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

You rang?

Pretty much anything can be made to work. Depends what you're after really.

If you want an after market whizzbang electronic job then not everything will work with the sv speedo drive but a hall sensor and magnets can sort it out.

If you want to go retro get a mk1 bandit mechanical speedo drive and pair it up with an older bike speedo.

Idiot lights are mostly a doddle. Fuel level warning can take a bit of work if you want to retain the function.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-16, 09:17 PM   #4
Lumpy

Looked at this less than £20 uk seller (probably sh.t ) but I'm spending way more than I budgeted . I like the old school clock , so it's possible to fit a mk 1
Bandit speed sensor ?. My sensor is knacked anyway . Would like to see some picks !,
Thanks Lads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.jpg (113.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-11-16, 10:18 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

The electronic one's look the part but you're looking at a fair bit of dosh usually. £20 might be a bargain but it's as likely to just be cheap (in the worst way) IMHO.

If budget is paramount you might be better looking at used OEM. The Mk1 Bandit mechanical drive fits the SV and gives you good options from older bikes (including Mk1 Bandits of course). I don't know if the later Bandit clocks work - I suspect they might but then you'll need to replace your broken SV speedo drive to get the electrical impulse (or fit a hall sensor and magnets).

Some info on the Bandit clocks fitted by Big Daft Lad on the thread below. They look the part I think.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=207472
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 09:02 AM   #6
atassiedevil

There's also these, which appear to be a clone of the Koso units, that have a pretty good reputation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...QAAOSwkZhWSzHV

Obviously at half the cost, expect half the quality. I've seen some of these and i'd probably have it open and seal it properly, if you can do that and stop water getting in, thats half the battle won.
They use a hall effect sensor to determine speed, and can be programmed for different front wheel sizes.

C.
Old 01-12-16, 01:48 PM   #7
Lumpy

Thanks . I like the single round style speedo . May go down the mk 1
bandit way with a machenical drive . Thanks for the info