SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-08-20, 06:59 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default 5G connectivity

I don't have a smart phone but I do like to email my MP to tell him that (imo) his Party (Tory) is useless. I sent him this:

5G policy:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...ublication.pdf

the result:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/27/us-an...ntries-tested/

I've emailed him so often that he longer responds but I find it cathartic and it beats shouting at the tv.
Old 31-08-20, 09:10 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: 5G connectivity

I had a nasty experience of signing up with 3 for an unlimited data package to discover I could not get 4G. So imagine my surprise that they now say 5G is available where I live. I will never go back as they lost my trust.

The country needs 5G and usable data plans so those of us at the ends of 60 year old aluminium lines with no immediate prospect of FTTP can get the network connectivity we need.

The government of all parties have been digitally inept, definitions of superfast that crawl, no sanction on providers for failing to deliver, and worse of all, a complete lack of understanding of digital risk and security.

We need a joined up approach, where mobile comunication use the strongest cells irrepective of operator, where there is a universal right to a fibre connection to the premises. The BT legacy of trying to milk the last penny out obsolete architecture rather than provide the services the customers want has damaged this country. The operators who still have this mindset with mobile on the cheap will continue that legacy.

5G is an opportunity to finally deliver a usable mobile network, but it has to be done correctly. The range isn't great so needs more towers and infrastructure sites requiring clowncil to be engaged and proactive in providing permissions.

But how the hell do you iradicate the idiots who think 5G spreads Covid 19. Maybe it can be used to fry their brains, or has 4G already done that?

Last edited by timwilky; 31-08-20 at 09:12 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 09:32 AM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: 5G connectivity

If you didn't get fibre and 4G you're never gonna get 5G. It is only practical in very busy cities and needs loads of towers with direct line of site. I don't think it even works indoors particularly well since it can't penetrate much
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote