SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-20, 07:38 PM   #31
gadget

Default Re: Now Germany is looking at bike noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Just thought I'd add ... I have a 99 curvy, zero performance mods except for a full length stainless Delkevic oval end can, it sounds no different (and I mean ... NO different) whether the baffle is in or out! Having said that, I personally don't think it's particularly loud anyway. When riding through my local residential area I tend to watch people's reaction to my bike passing and tbh... not many (if any) peeps even look. As I am biased I think the deep bellow of a Vtwin is far nicer than a four pot doing 60 million rpm in first.
I 2nd that on both counts, my Delkevic sounds just nice with no baffle in, and no different with the baffle out. The only glances I get are from other bikers as I go by.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 09:24 AM   #32
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget;3119248
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Just thought I'd add ... I have a 99 curvy, zero performance mods except for a full length stainless Delkevic oval end can, it sounds no different (and I mean ... NO different) whether the baffle is in or out! Having said that, I personally don't think it's particularly loud anyway. When riding through my local residential area I tend to watch people's reaction to my bike passing and tbh... not many (if any) peeps even look. As I am biased I think the deep bellow of a Vtwin is far nicer than a four pot doing 60 million rpm in first.

I 2nd that on both counts, my Delkevic sounds just nice with no baffle in, and no different with the baffle out. The only glances I get are from other bikers as I go by.
Did you just agree with yourself Gadget?
Old 25-08-20, 11:57 AM   #33
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Non motorbike riders ( by far the majority of the population ) do not like the sound of any loud exhaust, and by riding with a non-stock exhaust you will just hasten the day when any exhaust over 85db will be illegal......

When talking to non bikers the word 'motorbike' is always prefaced by 'loud' or 'noisy' - they can't tell the nuances of a stainless delkevic oval end can against any other aftermarket can. Just like in most things a minority get the majority a bad name ( except with lawyers, where it is 95% who get the remaining 5% a bad name )..

Can't even say 'tarred with the same brush' any more ( or sing the words to 'Rule Britannia it seems if the latest BBC proms is anything to go by ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 07:35 PM   #34
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Did you just agree with yourself Gadget?
Hahaaaa, ooops, yeah... I think I had a senior moment there, well spotted. but statement still stands.
Just to add though ... my bike is mechanically standard, save for a stainless oval Delkevic end can, sounds nice tbh imo. I wonder how I will fair when and if pulled by the police, my end can a has the BS stamp from the Manufacturers stating it is fit for road use and for purpose, surely the makers are obliged to abide by the noise regulations set out by our government!?

Last edited by gadget; 26-08-20 at 05:58 AM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 07:51 PM   #35
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Well I third it, or is that second?

This whole thing irks me a little, as a non biker (child) I accepted 'motorbikes are a bit louder' more powerful cars are 'a bit louder' - I didn't just hate things that I didn't partake in because they were outside of my world but I understand a lot of people are like this.

There a noise regulations on house holds but should they stop selling speakers because some people cause a nuisance with music? Not quite equivalent, but almost.

I don't think (or hope they won't) just 'come for us all', they did a similar thing with two strokes a bit back ; they phased out manufacture but the threat of taking all ones already in existance off people never became a reality.
I think they will more likely design and manufacture bikes that are quieter (electric) and we'll forget about all this... petrol heads will continue to ride petrol things until they die in a couple of decades and other will ride silent electric brooms.