SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-20, 06:58 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Ex demo bikes

Would you buy an ex-demonstrator bike? They tend to be discounted, have low miles but possibly many riders and potentially abused.

On the other hand I've ridden demo bikes and just ridden them "normally", not "what'll it do?" They still have the manufacturers warranty...

I'm looking to get rid of the MT09 and have been offered an ex demo bike on a 69 plate for £2500 + MT09 locally, or a brand new bike for £900 more from a remote dealer (Preston).

(...and let's face it, my decision making recently hasn't been top notch).
Old 03-08-20, 07:55 PM   #2
yokohama

Default Re: Ex demo bikes

I bought my Yamaha with less than 150 miles on the clock as an ex demo. I saved over £1500 on list price and it's been fine. Some places restrict the demo ride time these days so once you get out of the city, there might not be enough time to really thrash the engine. (4 cylinder bikes tend to need more revs anyway) There are even some who argue that engines should be thrashed during the run in.
As you say you'll get the remaining warranty and if you negotiate the first service to be included and done before you ride away, that will probably save you a couple of hundred too.

Questions to ask are when exactly was the bike registered and how many miles has it done. Is a new bike on a 20 plate worth the £900 difference?

Alternatively, how much do you hate the Yamaha? OK, the suspension is awful but what about the engine, the handling, ergonomics etc? A front fork cartridge upgrade should radically improve the bike and only set you back around £800

Last edited by yokohama; 03-08-20 at 09:07 PM.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 07:56 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

For the sake of £900 you'd be crazy to get the demo one
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 08:24 PM   #4
daktulos

i'd want a lot more than £900 off for an ex-demo bike, but that's just me. If you believe running-in is important, then I would assume that a demo bike ... wasn't.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 08:39 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

My SV was an ex-demo. No problems, apart from a couple of bolt heads etc had mild corrosion because it hadn't been washed off properly after rides (but that can happen with any used bike, in fairness).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:40 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Alternatively, how much do you hate the Yamaha? OK, the suspension is awful but what about the engine, the handling, ergonomics etc? A front fork cartridge upgrade should radically improve the bike and only set you back around £800
if it was just the suspension (bearing in mind that this was the main reason for purchase), I'd maybe consider fixing it but the gearbox is poor (compared to the SV) and the fuelling rough at low revs. It's unpleasant to ride or for my style of riding at least.

The advantage with the ex-demo is that I could be riding it this week, there's a 2 week lead time on the new bike. After waiting 7 months for the H1F and then 3 weeks for the MT09, I can see another Summer slipping by. Having just written that it does sound stupid. A "first world problem" as a reddit.com meme would say. On the other hand, Lancashire is having a climb in virus cases - will they get a new lockdown? Maybe I worry too much

I suppose, as Craig380 says, buying a demo bike is the same as buying any secondhand bike. I think I'll see if I can get the low seat thrown in or at least discounted on the demo - it's sold on ebay for £250.
Old 04-08-20, 06:59 AM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Depends on the bike. Some "ex demo" bikes are really unused pre reg examples and some have quite a bit of mileage on them. Id want a much better deal on the latter.
Old 04-08-20, 08:09 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
if it was just the suspension (bearing in mind that this was the main reason for purchase), I'd maybe consider fixing it but the gearbox is poor (compared to the SV) and the fuelling rough at low revs. It's unpleasant to ride or for my style of riding at least.

The advantage with the ex-demo is that I could be riding it this week, there's a 2 week lead time on the new bike. After waiting 7 months for the H1F and then 3 weeks for the MT09, I can see another Summer slipping by. Having just written that it does sound stupid. A "first world problem" as a reddit.com meme would say. On the other hand, Lancashire is having a climb in virus cases - will they get a new lockdown? Maybe I worry too much

I suppose, as Craig380 says, buying a demo bike is the same as buying any secondhand bike. I think I'll see if I can get the low seat thrown in or at least discounted on the demo - it's sold on ebay for £250.
Hey, I live just outside Preston and we have no corona virus issues here as we behave ourselves. I bought my GSX-S1000 as soon as the shops opened and obviously had a test ride on a demonstration bike first. Test ride booked by appointment. door of the shop only opened to those with an appointment. test ride limited to 45 minutes so no time to get into the lanes and back.
In my case it was 500 cheaper for a pre registered. Not worth it as when I come to sell it is a two owner bike So waited 2 weeks for a "New".
Old 04-08-20, 08:31 AM   #9
shiftin_gear98

I really doubt I will ever be in the position to buy a new bike, or a demo bike. So feel your pain at having bought a dud.
But if I did, I'd want the difference to be more than £900 to tempt me to buy into the unknown. Compared to new and shiny.
Personally I'd wait the two weeks, and save a few more pennies.
Old 04-08-20, 09:19 AM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
I really doubt I will ever be in the position to buy a new bike, or a demo bike. So feel your pain at having bought a dud.
But if I did, I'd want the difference to be more than £900 to tempt me to buy into the unknown. Compared to new and shiny.
Personally I'd wait the two weeks, and save a few more pennies.
I've made a counter offer on the new one, the sales guy is off today, we'll see what happens tomorrow.