SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-09-20, 11:04 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Old Singer sewing machine

Tinkering with an 80 year old handcranked Singer 28K sewing machine. I spotted it in a charity shop for £35 a few days ago and couldn’t resist it. I’ve been after one for some time to use for all the sewing jobs I have waiting to be done.

Wasn’t sure whether anything was missing or broken when I bought it, but it turns out all it needed was a good service and oiling. There was even a bobbin in the boat shuttle, with thread still on it.

Both Sioned, my daughter and I have been using it today and it’s deeply satisfying. The sound takes me back to my childhood.

The last two days have been spent going over every joint and moving part on it, cleaning, freeing off, and oiling. Made in 1940 at the Singer factory in Scotland, the body is solid cast iron. It’s a strangely beautiful device, and a real joy to use. I like the fact that it’s not reliant on an external power source either.

I think the fact that I have a mechanical background helps account for my appreciation of this lovely old piece of machinery.

I’ll try and remember to post some pictures of it later.
Old 20-09-20, 12:07 AM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Old Singer sewing machine

My Mum had an old Singer of some description. Lovely bit of machinery and supported our family for 30+ years. A couple of years back she sent it to a charity shop. I'd not really used it and have no call for it but it still made me sad that its no longer with us.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 07:43 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
My Mum had an old Singer of some description. Lovely bit of machinery and supported our family for 30+ years. A couple of years back she sent it to a charity shop. I'd not really used it and have no call for it but it still made me sad that its no longer with us.
That’s a really common theme with so many of the folk I’ve mentioned this to SH. They’ve either sent them to charity shops or they have them lurking in the attic or a shed somewhere.

My mum had a treadle operated Singer and I still remember the sound of it all these years later. When you finished using it I seem to remember you could invert the machine in the stand and it became a table.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 03:34 PM   #4
Ruffy

We still have a hand cranked vintage sewing machine that gets occasional use (inherited from wife's grandmother). I agree they're fascinating machines when ticking along.

My operational challenge is that I generally need two hands to control the material so I struggle to crank and sew with any sort of accuracy. I acknowledge my low skill level!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-20, 04:00 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

I have a Frister and Rossman, dates from mid 1920s, lovely thing.
Old 20-09-20, 05:36 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

My mum used one of these when I was a kid, she still has it. They are reasuringly weighty and really satisfying to use..I used to pretend it was a machine gun :/
Old 21-09-20, 07:27 AM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Things you learn from watching Bargain Hunt: the really valuable old hand- or foot-cranked sewing machines are the 'saddleback' ones with an arched or curved upper arm, collectors go mad for them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 05:03 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just bought a 1909 New Home hand cranked machine. It's a New National U model in need of a clean and a bit of a restoration. It was in a charity shop and cost me just £15!

The encouraging thing is that aside from a couple of small screws and the lid, it's complete and working. It's a vibrating shuttle machine like my Singer 28k and, like the Singer, when I took the bobbin out of the shuttle there was still thread on it.

I've been taking bits off of it and cleaning them up. It'll take me a little while but a good clean and service should see it perfectly usable again.

Edit*

Not doing a full restoration at the moment, instead gave it a clean, an oil, and a service. I want to make sure everything works as it should and that it will actually sew. It does feel very nice to use, everything turns, oscillates, and rises and falls as it's meant to.

A couple of observations.
1. It's amazing how little the basic design of this 1909 American machine differs from my 1940 Singer.
2. It's a nice little machine but not in the same league as my Singer with regard to quality of components.

Here's a picture of it after I put it all back together. The little glass file full of red liquid on the base was wedged into the compartment under the machine. I suspect it's machine oil, and probably nearly as old as the machine.

New National 1909
by garynortheast

There are a couple of screws missing from it which I need to source but otherwise it appears to be all there.
Old 31-10-20, 08:06 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Wonderful!
Old 31-10-20, 09:23 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I’m dead chuffed with it. I need to find a picture of the cover/lid now so Iknow what I’m looking for.