SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-07, 03:14 AM   #1
monkey

Default Has anyone ever heard of or seen a fork slider save a fork-track or road (Not SV!)

Thinking about sliders for my bike, which isn't an SV, and am wondering if fork sliders have ever actually done anything other than fill the pockets of the manufacturers?

Also, is there any advantage of rear spindle sliders over cotton reels?

Thanking you kindly.

Old 28-10-07, 12:46 PM   #2
Paws

Default Re: Has anyone ever heard of or seen a fork slider save a fork-track or road (Not SV!)

I had them on the sv and the zx9, recoomend them all the way, R&G are the best ones to go for (if theyve made them for your bike yet)
Old 28-10-07, 01:41 PM   #3
monkey

Default Re: Has anyone ever heard of or seen a fork slider save a fork-track or road (Not SV!)

Yeah they have but have you ever heard of them touching down? How's the leg?
Old 28-10-07, 02:00 PM   #4
ASM-Forever

When i had my 2 sets of R&G's fitted, i asked about fork sliders and they all agreed that thy arn't worth it. They said perhaps in a low speed/stationary drop, but realistically from the damaged bikes they've had in...they don't seem to help much.

At the end of the day its up to you, i didn't go for them as consensus was hardly worthwhile and i think they look rubbish.
Old 28-10-07, 02:25 PM   #5
Paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
Yeah they have but have you ever heard of them touching down? How's the leg?

i know they saved the swingarm on the sv after the crash
Leg is plastered for ANOTHER 6 weeks
Old 28-10-07, 04:35 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Very hard to know for sure, even when the bungs take damage they tend to stick out further, so maybe the hard parts wouldn't have touched. But I can say for sure that if I had fitted fork sliders, then I wouldn't have touched down the front axle on both sides of mine in crashes. That's GSXR parts though, very wide yokes and forks. You see quite a few GSXR forks with damage to the fork lower too. What sort of bike is it?

The SV front end is pretty narrow, I can't remember ever seeing a road-rashed SV fork or axle... And swingarms are pretty unusual. But swingarms are a different thing, since the sliders are useful anyway. My Motosliders swingarm sliders got ground down almost to half their size in my last crash, but I've a sneaking suspicion they only touched down because they stick out.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 07:52 PM   #7
monkey

It's for new Daytona. I suspect the width of the spindle is also too small to warrant having them. Don't understand how a low speed or stationary drop would make them touch but a quick one wouldn't?

6 weeks?! Cor blimey.

What do you think Northwind? Worth another 30 quid or so? What about the other question about rear spindle sliders?
Old 28-10-07, 11:50 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Haven't a clue But there's a Daytona race series isn't there, that'd be a good place to sniff about I reckon.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 11:59 PM   #9
monkey

Northwind it's not true what they all say about you. Good stinking.

But would they care if they scratched their forks?