SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-10-07, 10:23 PM   #11
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which boots?

Most impressed with my SMX-4 goretex jobbies, comfy and waterproof. Worn throughout summer and they no worse than any other boot for sweaty feet.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 10:23 PM   #12
suicidesam

Black rains here, had them since June last year.. used daily and still look new ish with a good polish and have never had wet feet
Old 05-10-07, 10:34 PM   #13
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Most impressed with my SMX-4 goretex jobbies, comfy and waterproof. Worn throughout summer and they no worse than any other boot for sweaty feet.
regular smx4- sweaty and lets rain in. - bad purchase i think! bugger!
Old 05-10-07, 10:56 PM   #14
scarlett

I wear Sidi Black Rains and cant fault them.
Old 06-10-07, 12:20 AM   #15
northwind
Mega Poster

I wear Sidi Vertebra 2s, standard in summer and Tepor in winter. The Sidi tepor membrane can be a bit suspect, Black Rains often develop leaks, but these ones are still fine even after a couple of decent crashes. They're fully armoured and have toe sliders- the Black Rains are good boots but if you slide on them then they lack the hard protection, they'll protect you but they're likely to be trashed afterwards, a few scrapes is fine on a dry weather boot but it doesn't help waterproofing

They're discountinued now but when I got mine they were well discounted, £110. Huge bargain that, I couldn't be happier with mine. My next all-weather boots will be goretex though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 07:25 AM   #16
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
I wear Sidi Black Rains and cant fault them.
same feedback from me, had them for what must be over 3500 miles now and they've kept the water from a few downpours out nicely, although i don't ride if it's just hacking it. they're comfy, only a couple of scuffs where i caught them on sharp bits of the bike. only reason i'd get new ones would be because the vertebrae look nicer
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 07:58 AM   #17
hovis

be careful with sidi as they are great boots, but you need to try them on. as they are on the small size & seem very narrow (IMO)
Old 06-10-07, 12:22 PM   #18
Ceri JC

I recommend spending an extra £20 and getting a pair of Altberg. They are "proper" handmade boots, made in a manner not disimilar to hiking boots and consequently they are waterproof. Waterproof as in, after 100K miles in them (not mine, only 15K in mine, a colleague has over 100K in his) and after a few crashes, they still don't leak, even when out in torrential rain for 4 hours. Not, "maybe might keep some water out for half an hour or so, for the first 6 months life of the boot". On top of which, they are supremely comfortable, you can walk a long way in them without discomfort, they are smart enough to pass as shoes at a glance and if you have odd shaped feet, you can have a pair made specially for you at no extra cost. I probably wouldn't do a track day in them, but they do offer much more protection than you would think from the aesthetics and personally, for road riding, I won't consider anything else in future.
Old 06-10-07, 06:32 PM   #19
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
be careful with sidi as they are great boots, but you need to try them on. as they are on the small size & seem very narrow (IMO)
I heard that too when I was looking for boots earlier this year. I've got pretty wide feet (been pounded into submission with supporting 16 stone), and I found the Sidi's fine. Strangely, I tried the XPD's (which I was told were better for wider feet), and they weren't as comfortable.

So I guess, try before you buy!
Old 07-10-07, 07:18 AM   #20
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Same here, mine have taken no time to break in at all - i even walked across a field in them (dont ask!) and they've been comfy. They're about £160 though...

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote