SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-03-15, 11:18 PM   #1
appollo1
Mega Poster

Default OMO your assistance please

Oh mighty Org, I know I have not been on here for a while but as always I am certain that this is the place for help and information.

It has been 2 years since I left the RAF. In that time I have been self employed as I had applied for numerous jobs when I first left the RAF and only ever got one interview.

Recently I have applied for some jobs and now have 2 interviews coming up in the next couple of weeks.

I know all the usual about being on time, learn about the company etc etc etc

At the last interview nerves got the better of me as it was my first interview in over 25 years.

Does anyone have any experience of sitting on panels to employ people that could give me some top tips please?

thank you

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 11:34 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO your assistance please

i have only ever failed one job interview and that was for packing shelves in Tesco and their excuse was i was over qualified and would be better off applying for a management position. ermm i only want to pack shelves coz i'm at UNI you morons.....

my advice for what its worth, be yourself, if your face fits your in its as simple as that.

relax.. there is nothing to be nervous about, they are not going to get up and punch you in the face or anything like that. they just want to know if your suitable for the job by asking you questions, nothing more nothing less. if you dont get the job move on and apply for another.

get used to interviews by going too as many as you can even if you dont want the job its experience.

ooohhh and never ever lie, even if you think they wont like the answer DONT LIE.

good luck Ricky, hope you get the job m8 you deserve it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 11:36 PM   #3
Alexander94

The best advice that I got given when I was applying for jobs is to research the company before going to the interview so you can recite some statistics to the interviewer (they always like to hear how great they are)
I didn't end up needing to do that but it wouldn't hurt your chances
Besides that, relax, I've had interviews where I should have done well but didn't because I got myself all worked up...

Good luck with your job hunt!
Old 06-03-15, 11:56 PM   #4
appollo1
Mega Poster

That's what happened at the last interview i got so nervous that when they threw in a 'curveball' question asking my 3 best qualities i couldn't answer due to nerves.

thanks lance

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 11:00 AM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

The stress of the interviews can't be as bad as some of the 'shizzle' you endured in your previous job.
Treat the first one as a practice for the next - no pressure.
Best of luck with both.
Old 07-03-15, 12:49 PM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

The last interview I enjoyed was with a scam company, you know the ones, the companies who scam old ladies out of their pensions by doing the hard sell door to door. By researching the company, I was able to ask the right questions, be critical of their practice where I needed to be and thus avoided getting involved with a company that had the ethics of a hungry shark in a playpool!

So be objective. You owe it to yourself to find a job that will treat you with respect, reward you for hard work and not steal all of your family time. You are interviewing them too, if the job does not fit what you want, you may be unhappy doing it.

Remember as well that most managers pulled into interviews don't want to be there because they have other important things to get sorted, so those first 30 seconds of the interview are important.

Farting during an interview is considered rude, well unless you work in a baked bean factory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 04:18 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quite a few websites have lists of the more odd questions some employers seem to think they have to ask. Write down some of your key points and take some notes in with you - it shows you have thought about it all and have prepared, which should work in your favour (unless the job relies on your memory capabilities).
Old 07-03-15, 09:05 PM   #8
Moleman

As above RELAX!
You got the interviews because they thought you are a good match to what they are looking for.. So your 50% of the way there..
Listen to the questions and consider your answer but don't over think it.. Consider your experances and give examples which you feel fit the questions. Makes the interview more interesting for the interviewers and more memorable. You want them to remember you..

Always have some questions for them to as it shows intrest amongst other things.
Again relax everyone expects people to be a little nervous it shows your bothered.

Last edited by Moleman; 07-03-15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 04:01 PM   #9
ClunkintheUK

I found a really useful book when I started my interviews out of uni. The basic gist of it was, figure out what your USP is. What one thing makes you stand out as suited for the role, ( mine was quick leaner) Then think of three or four themes from your CV that back up this USP, I showed my masters, diverse experience for a fresh graduate ( gap year and internship and even my uni work in a bike shop) and the highly numerate degree (it was a technical role) then for each theme think of 4 examples or situations that back up that theme.

From this you should have written down on a piece of paper a pyramid three layers deep. Each story at the bottom is a potential answer to a queation. So then think about what the likely questions are and how each of your potential stories would answer this. A story can respond to more then one question, and you can have more then one potential response. Each response you then give should ultimately link up and bolster your USP without you having to actually articulate it directly. They will likely have to ask the same questions of each candidate, so using the same response twice is not necessarily a problem, just saying 'as I mentioned before' and you can give a shortened response just highlighting why it is relevant to the current question.

I also found having a mechanical way of preparing for the interview meant that I was much less nervous, and when the curve ball came up that I hadn't thought off had a bank of 15 or so situations that I could pick from, or as in your case I'd have those three qualities backing up my USP directly at hand to respond.

I have also found it useful to write down on a piece of paper all the questions I want to ask the interviewer. That way you won't forget, but also when they ask if you have any questions, you can check your notes, and if everything as indeed been answered in the interview already, you don't look unprepared.

This has always worked for me in interviews, but for the record I have never been and interviewer.
Old 08-03-15, 07:56 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

When you walk in to the interview, imagine the panel is naked, was a tip to divert your mind about being worried what they are going to ask.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote