SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-20, 09:26 AM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch slipping/won't select neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshodonnello View Post
Just for future reference, wasn't sure if there was a "best" supplier to go to.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll get some new oil ordered and test the spark plugs/caps when I can. I have done a visual check on them before and remember them being a b**** to get access to so i'm not looking forward to that.
I'll report back with my findings.
As per my page I removed my Horn bracket and relocated my Horn to the Front left side of the bike,

https://i.imgur.com/Gv5Dnf4.jpg

This means I can just remove the 3 Rad bolts and then push the Rad forward to get to the front plug. It's still a little tricky but way better IMHO

The Orange cable in the picture was just my Front Disc lock reminder cable.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-09-20 at 09:28 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 09:27 AM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Just for future reference, wasn't sure if there was a "best" supplier to go to.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll get some new oil ordered and test the spark plugs/caps when I can. I have done a visual check on them before and remember them being a b**** to get access to so i'm not looking forward to that.
I'll report back with my findings.
You can undo the radiator and leave it hanging then use a folding sparkplug wrench (or very specific size extension bar on a normal socket) to get the the front spark plug , bit fiddly but no need to strip everything. You need to remove the seat for the rear.
Old 23-09-20, 09:28 AM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks guys.
The oil is at the correct level. It is the correct weight but may not be the correct spec. I will change it out to make sure. Do you have a recommended type/brand to use?
I will follow that guide and have another look at the lifter. It seems to me as if the clutch isn't disengaging all the way but also isn't engaging all the way because of the slippage.
The engine seems to be running fine. I will take a look at the plugs.
As for getting power down. Overall it is down on power. It seems like it is struggling to gain revs and has the feeling of wanting to gain speed but you can feel the bike pulling back as i'm trying to gain speed. Hope that makes sense.

For a clutch not to grip and also to drag is a bit strange, they normally do one or the other if it is adjustment related. You have replaced the friction plates and springs so that takes them out of the equation. Use any oil that is 'motorbike specific' and has the JASO MA spec, try sportsbike shop

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...-0;all;280;284)

or OPIE oils, https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-782-10w...ngine-oil.aspx

as they both have good selection and pretty good prices / good delivery.

Oils formulated for car engines have friction modifiers in them, their purpose is 'lowest friction possible' - bike oild have a different job as lack of friction in a clutch is not good, and also
cars have separate gearbox oil so no need for the 'high shear' additives used in bike oil for the gearbox, that shares oil with engine.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-09-20 at 09:39 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 06:12 PM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I dont think what you describe is clutch slip.You say you open the throttle and it lacks power and the revs dont go up. If the clutch slips the revs do go up but the bike speed doesnt rise accordingly. A good way to check this is to get in top gear at about 60 and open the throttle. It will be obvious that the bike revs up but goes no faster or even slows down while the engine revs stay high. I think your problem is likely to be in the lifter/cable area or oil level. No need to change the oil just ensure the level is correct. The other possibility is warped clutch plate or wear in the clutch basket at the point those plates fit into the cutouts.