SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-12, 09:17 AM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Diy Carb Balance tool

Ok, im going to attempt it f#k it!

Im doing my home work so i thought i would start a post to see if it will work or not.

Homework webpages if anyone else it interested....I like the rawl plug vaccum inhibitor method!

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/reply/25...l#.T46E3NkeC4o

http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-moto...-balancer.html

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewto...&view=previous
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 10:43 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Diy Carb Balance tool

I made my own as a test some years ago, get a cheapy single gauge and connect with three taps in a 'tee' arrangement. The centre tap is to the gauge and is the flutter adjuster, each other leg goes to a cylinder - no inaccuracy between gauges 'cos there's only one. Obviously less convenient than two gauges, but far more accurate than many of the other home made setups.

To use, connect each leg to a cylinder, all taps off. Open one leg tap fully and then ease open the centre tap just enough to get a suitable, constant reading, don't touch the centre tap after that. Then close that leg tap, and open the other to get a reading from that cylinder.

A gauge: Linky
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 03:15 PM   #3
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I made my own as a test some years ago, get a cheapy single gauge and connect with three taps in a 'tee' arrangement. The centre tap is to the gauge and is the flutter adjuster, each other leg goes to a cylinder - no inaccuracy between gauges 'cos there's only one. Obviously less convenient than two gauges, but far more accurate than many of the other home made setups.

To use, connect each leg to a cylinder, all taps off. Open one leg tap fully and then ease open the centre tap just enough to get a suitable, constant reading, don't touch the centre tap after that. Then close that leg tap, and open the other to get a reading from that cylinder.

A gauge: Linky
Would the switching back and forward of the cylinder taps cause enough fluctuation for a misread/adjust ? .... mind you theyre going to be either fully open at one side & closed at the other arent they?
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 18-04-12 at 03:16 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 06:24 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Not that I found, it actually worked very well. Clearly you need to be sure your taps don't leak, but the ones I bought had a taper on the barrel such that the seal is excellent, this was a number of years ago but they were less than a pound each. Each cylinder's tap is used only either fully closed or fully open, as long as they seal OK they're fine, the third tap is shared between all cylinders so within reason it doesn't matter how it functions as once it's set it's the same for all cylinders.

I tested them against mercury gauges - the best kind - they were spot on.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-20, 06:42 PM   #5
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Not that I found, it actually worked very well. Clearly you need to be sure your taps don't leak, but the ones I bought had a taper on the barrel such that the seal is excellent, this was a number of years ago but they were less than a pound each. Each cylinder's tap is used only either fully closed or fully open, as long as they seal OK they're fine, the third tap is shared between all cylinders so within reason it doesn't matter how it functions as once it's set it's the same for all cylinders.

I tested them against mercury gauges - the best kind - they were spot on.
That sounds like an excellent idea. I made my own 'U' gauge and used Redex as the fluid so if it accidentally got sucked in to the cylinder it wouldnt do any harm, having said that I think it was a bit too fluid as it was very succeptable to the slightest pressure change and jumped about all over the place, I got a good balance in the end but it took ages, will probably use something a little thicker next time. Although I like the idea of using just the one gauge, I've read several times of peeps getting different readings from twin gauges as they're just not calibrated properly.
Are there no downsides to using just a single gauge?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote