SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-07, 11:10 PM   #1
monkey

Default GSG crash protection.Anyone got it or tried it?

I'll want some cash protection soon for the new baby and don't want to use R and Gs as I'd have to cut the faring. GSG do some though and they also do a pivot pint slider. Anyone had any experience with GSG sliders?

They also do sliders for just about everything!
Old 11-09-07, 06:58 AM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: GSG crash protection.Anyone got it or tried it?

Just cut the fairing...as its just the bar coming through its not too bad really. I had to cut one side on the R6 and with the bung fitted, its not really visible.

R&G seem pretty spot on with the placement of bungs, in case of a crash. They are where they are for a reason to protect valuable/important parts of the bike. Personally i wouldn't fit my bungs in areas just because plastics don't need cutting!

Worst case scenario you buy a new fairing part.
Old 11-09-07, 10:22 PM   #3
Robw#70

Ive used GSG's for four seasons now and never had to replace one (with some pretty fast crashes) and unlike R+G's they dont damage the frame/snap bolts etc at the first sight of a crash(just flick through their catalogue and you'll notice every crashed picture shows a bent bung).
They fit really well so on impact they wear the puck away but stay straight.

And as previously said they are mounted in the best place for engine/frame protection regardless of bodywork.
I have removed a few sets of bungs that didn't need the bodywork cutting, the brackets had cracked due to vibration............ie had not crashed yet!!
Old 11-09-07, 10:35 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
don't want to use R and Gs as I'd have to cut the faring.
No you don't.
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/...ired/2003.aspx
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 10:37 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

GSGs are ace... I didn't think they did a "no cut" version, but IMO the thing to do is get the best protection you can and **** the fairing, I mean, cut the fairing It's not hard and it doesn't look bad at all... Totally worth it for the extra protection I feel.

I don't use GSG, mainly because they were a bit hard to find when I last wanted bungs. I use Motosliders instead which I reckon are of the same standard, there's hundreds of US SVs with them fitted on SV RIder and yet not one complaint, report of damage or unwarranted failure. That's not just good, it's uncanny, considering the unreasonable expectations people have of crash protection. They're also cheap, and the parts are easy to get. Compare and contrast with R&G Did have those, probably won't again.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 11:09 PM   #6
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70 View Post
Ive used GSG's for four seasons now and never had to replace one (with some pretty fast crashes) and unlike R+G's they dont damage the frame/snap bolts etc at the first sight of a crash(just flick through their catalogue and you'll notice every crashed picture shows a bent bung).
They fit really well so on impact they wear the puck away but stay straight.

And as previously said they are mounted in the best place for engine/frame protection regardless of bodywork.
I have removed a few sets of bungs that didn't need the bodywork cutting, the brackets had cracked due to vibration............ie had not crashed yet!!
I thought the fact that the bolt snapped on R and Gs was their trademark, ie they bend rather than snap off when you need them?

You're gonna have to explain the last bit again as I just didn't get it! Sorry. Which brackets had snapped? And what bungs did you remove?
Old 11-09-07, 11:48 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
ie they bend rather than snap off when you need them?
In my experience, yes, they bend or snap off when you need them. Whereas Motosliders and GSG don't, they just work. It's a balancing act, an indestructible bung would be dangerous as it'd be more likely to cause damage, a bung that's too weak will just fold up and not be very protective but is unlikely to cause damage. I think that's maybe why R&G err on the side of caution there and make their bungs too weak. They do still snap, though.

For comparison... Here's two very similiar lowsides, both provided by your crash test dummy here. The R&G one was the slower of the two.

Motoslider:

R&G:

Old 12-09-07, 12:31 AM   #8
monkey

Cheers Windyman. That's settled it for me. GSGs it is. Motosliders don't do them for the Daytona. GSG do some nifty swingarm pivot sliders too, and Skyking do some rear subframe sliders too for the belt and braces approach on trackdays. What do you think Northwind?:

GSG moto

More GSG moto

Skyking rear sliders

Well? Too much?
Old 12-09-07, 12:36 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

You know, I'd totally forgotten that it wouldn't be for the SV. However, I'm now going to pretend that I knew all along, and I was just using the motosliders as a nonspecific example of a crash bung

That's a lot of bungs. I think I'd prefer fixed pegs instead, but then, if you break a fixed peg it's quite irritating
Old 12-09-07, 12:41 AM   #10
monkey

Well the bottom pic has a pivot point slider too but it's solid aluminium which I don't fancy. Rather too many than not enough though eh? The SV will be up for sale very shortly.