SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-08, 09:02 PM   #1
mustnt grumble

Default Ground Anchor help

Evening all, having just totally messed up trying to fix a wall anchor in my garage I wonder if anyone could give me some tips.

I drilled the holes using the correct size drill bit into the brickwork and put the bolts in and tightened them, only to find that the whole lot simply pulled out again. One of the bolt heads is now rounded so I'm hoping that I can get some replacement bolts rather than buy a whole new anchor. I can't understand where I went wrong and I'm sure there must be plenty of folk with experience of fitting these things who may know (although having searched on this forum, it seems I may be the only person useless enough to mess this up.

Cheers for any tips.
Old 01-10-08, 09:05 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Ground Anchor help

push a nail or 2 in the hole along with the bolt for it to grip to

(what bolts r they?)

oh and welcome
Old 01-10-08, 09:10 PM   #3
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
push a nail or 2 in the hole along with the bolt for it to grip to

(what bolts r they?)

oh and welcome
They seem to be the standard jobs with a sleeve with opens as you screw it in. I suspect that some less than perfect drilling left the holes a bit too big meaning that the bolts couldn't grip. I've also got a garage defender to try and fit and really don't want to mess that up.

The bricks in my garage seem a bit 'crumbly'-would I be better trying to mount it in the concrete floor? (I understand that this leaves the chain more open to attack).
Old 01-10-08, 09:14 PM   #4
hovis

probaly better in concrete i would say
Old 01-10-08, 09:29 PM   #5
nik_nunez

have you tried turning the bolts around?
Old 01-10-08, 09:29 PM   #6
xXBADGERXx

Best way to drill the holes for the bolts is to use a small drill to "spot" your holes . Then step up to a slightly bigger drill . Try and get drills as close in size to your final one . When you come to drill the final size , use a slower speed and , literally , just open out to the right size . Keep your drill arm steady and don`t waggle it about or you will end up with ovalled and oversize holes . Blow dust out with eyes shut >_< or it`ll blow right into your peepers
Old 01-10-08, 09:30 PM   #7
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_nunez View Post
have you tried turning the bolts around?
Sorry?
Old 01-10-08, 09:32 PM   #8
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Best way to drill the holes for the bolts is to use a small drill to "spot" your holes . Then step up to a slightly bigger drill . Try and get drills as close in size to your final one . When you come to drill the final size , use a slower speed and , literally , just open out to the right size . Keep your drill arm steady and don`t waggle it about or you will end up with ovalled and oversize holes . Blow dust out with eyes shut >_< or it`ll blow right into your peepers

I think this was my mistake. Masonry drill bits are a bit bleeding pricey though aren't they?
Old 01-10-08, 09:34 PM   #9
thefallenangel

chemical resin is the dogs nuts. In work if the concrete is cack to bolt hand railings to, chemical resin and sleeves are used.

Drill the hole, fill sleeve with resin and put inside hole and then place the item over the hole and bolt down as it's setting so it goes off as one. Try getting one of them out is impossible.
Old 01-10-08, 09:36 PM   #10
xXBADGERXx

I get Masonry bolts from Stermat , cheap enough . Not as expensive as getting yer bike nicked though is it