SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-02-09, 03:34 PM   #1
Berlin

Default Giving Up!

This afternoon, I gave up. I made a coffee, put my feet up and Gave Up

There's nothing left in Peters account to pay Paul.

After 9 years in business, working my butt off up to 18 hours a day 7 days a week, I'm giving in.

Admittedly, for the last three years I've not so much been in business but servicing the debt from being screwed by a supplier.

But no more. Yesterday the bank added £1018 of charges to my account and today, they couldn't take the payment for my company credit card because the account is now overdrawn (due to the above charges). And ironically, charged me £35 because I couldn't afford to pay it. So how do they expect me to pay the £35, or indeed the £1018?

I've already sold just about everything I personally own to service the dedt already. There's nothing left. and I'm a Sole trader so no Limited liability.

It's actually bizarly liberating. Yes, I'm going to go (personally) bankrupt and they are going to take every single posession I've acrewed over a 22 year career. But then I'll be completely bare. Unencumered by anything material.

As for getting a job, I've now sent off over 300 CV's and I've not had a single interview. It turns out at 39, as a chemical engineer /sales manager that can turn his hand to anything, worked in 62 countries, is the world fly casting champion and can strip down an engine and have it back in the bike in a couple of hours, and has more energy and drive than is really healthy, I'm unemployable... Too qualified. I even tried a "Dumbed down" Cv and that didn't work either. Past it at 39

So if anyone knows of a job going near Ripon, I'm interested. I'm even thinking of learning polish so I can pretend to be foreign!

Bankruptcy advise very welcome

I'm going to have a cigarette whilst I still can.

Carl
Old 05-02-09, 03:38 PM   #2
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Re: Giving Up!

Sorry to hear that Carl - hope things work out for you. Our company deals in chemical dosing at water treatment works - perhaps throw a CV our way - we have a place in Wakefield.

www.lintottcs.co.uk
Old 05-02-09, 03:41 PM   #3
Exupdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
This afternoon, I gave up. I made a coffee, put my feet up and Gave Up

There's nothing left in Peters account to pay Paul.

After 9 years in business, working my butt off up to 18 hours a day 7 days a week, I'm giving in.

Admittedly, for the last three years I've not so much been in business but servicing the debt from being screwed by a supplier.

But no more. Yesterday the bank added £1018 of charges to my account and today, they couldn't take the payment for my company credit card because the account is now overdrawn (due to the above charges). And ironically, charged me £35 because I couldn't afford to pay it. So how do they expect me to pay the £35, or indeed the £1018?

I've already sold just about everything I personally own to service the dedt already. There's nothing left. and I'm a Sole trader so no Limited liability.

It's actually bizarly liberating. Yes, I'm going to go (personally) bankrupt and they are going to take every single posession I've acrewed over a 22 year career. But then I'll be completely bare. Unencumered by anything material.

As for getting a job, I've now sent off over 300 CV's and I've not had a single interview. It turns out at 39, as a chemical engineer /sales manager that can turn his hand to anything, worked in 62 countries, is the world fly casting champion and can strip down an engine and have it back in the bike in a couple of hours, and has more energy and drive than is really healthy, I'm unemployable... Too qualified. I even tried a "Dumbed down" Cv and that didn't work either. Past it at 39

So if anyone knows of a job going near Ripon, I'm interested. I'm even thinking of learning polish so I can pretend to be foreign!

Bankruptcy advise very welcome

I'm going to have a cigarette whilst I still can.

Carl
Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, it's a swine isn't it? I've been self employed for 17 yrs, not too far from you in Skipton, and my business is just about shot too. The work is still there to do but the people who use my services are too frightened to spend any money. By the time they realise that they have to do the work I fear that I'll be a statistic too. It's a scary time, hope something comes up for you.
Old 05-02-09, 03:42 PM   #4
Warthog

Man that sounds harsh. Can't you claim all your bank charges back? I guess seeing as you now have a clean slate, you should go and do what you really want to do. Good luck mate.
Old 05-02-09, 03:46 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Thats just carp. can't really say anything else. Cause anything else wouldn'e be very constructive. I can only imagine the sense of dread but equally relief.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 03:52 PM   #6
stewie

Wow thats pretty bad mate, what about seal sands and that neck of the woods ? actually Im sure you are more aware than I am , hope it all works out for you mate.
Old 05-02-09, 03:58 PM   #7
missyburd

Gutted for you

Hope you find a job soon, don't get too disheartened. What about bus driving, they're always needed and well paid? I know a fella who was in the same sort of situation a few weeks ago and he's gone into bus driving and really enjoys it. Or am I just being daft as usual
Old 05-02-09, 04:02 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear that mate, thats terrible.

Are you in Ripon, Derbyshire? If you dont want them taking your bike your welcome to hide it around my house.
Old 05-02-09, 04:17 PM   #9
petevtwin650

Man, that is bad, sad news.

With your experience and qualifications can't you emigrate to somewhere where hard work and endeavour is rewarded and not a hinderance?
Old 05-02-09, 04:32 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

Really sorry for you and hope that you soon find work.... for this to happen to you is just awful