SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-05-18, 06:10 AM   #1
Frank_drebbin

Default Rubbing noise from rear al7?

Hi.
When wheeling the bike I notice a faint "swishing" noise from the rear, perhaps around the brake disc.

Could the pad be rubbing on the disc? Gently applying the brake when wheeling the bike doesn't increase the noise before a stop. Can I loosen the brake or does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Old 15-05-18, 07:59 AM   #2
Frank_drebbin

Default Re: Rubbing noise from rear al7?

Hi.

Thanks a lot for the excellent reply.

I do have a Paddock stand so I will have a look and try the other things you suggested. I don't think it's bearings or pad wear and sounds to be like the pad is very very very slightly rubbing. I did wiggle the floating caliper a bit this morning and it seemed to get a little louder.

I will look tnt.

Thanks.
Old 15-05-18, 08:47 AM   #3
Talking Heads

Mine has occasionally made minor brake dragging noises when being wheeled around after being left sitting for long periods. (weeks rather than days)
Because of where I park it always gets moved backwards from its resting place.
When ridden there is no noise.
Once ridden a few miles the noise when wheeling about stops.
Don't know if its the front or rear, don't think its a problem, other bikes have done the same.
Its certainly nothing that rang any alarm bells.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 09:02 AM   #4
Frank_drebbin

OK thanks. I will check it before and after ride home tnt (I love the bike BTW!)
Old 15-05-18, 03:19 PM   #5
shiftin_gear98

I'm sure I read wheelieing, when I scanned this earlier.
I did wonder how you would notice a rubbing noise under these conditions. And if there was a situation to cause rubbing then this would probably be it. (Still wish I could get the front wheel up when I wanted it too)

Brakes do make swishing noises sometimes, I find if you go for a good ride and apply the brakes really ******* hard. This can sort the swishing out - discs can warp slightly. It also allows you to practice emergency stops.

Caveat: Maybe check there is nothing hanging off first that shouldn't be. I also have little to no technical know how.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 03:35 PM   #6
Frank_drebbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
I'm sure I read wheelieing, when I scanned this earlier.
I did wonder how you would notice a rubbing noise under these conditions. And if there was a situation to cause rubbing then this would probably be it. (Still wish I could get the front wheel up when I wanted it too)

Brakes do make swishing noises sometimes, I find if you go for a good ride and apply the brakes really ******* hard. This can sort the swishing out - discs can warp slightly. It also allows you to practice emergency stops.

Caveat: Maybe check there is nothing hanging off first that shouldn't be. I also have little to no technical know how.
I enjoyed this post!
Old 15-05-18, 04:43 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Have you got a hugger fitted ? May be tyre rubbing lightly on it, or chain on chain guard.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 07:01 PM   #8
Frank_drebbin

I don't have a hugger fitted, but have found others with an identical problem and there is a video from an sv650s here for the front wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNECsGcC8H8

This is exactly what I have. There is a discussion about it here on another forum: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160296

The consensus there is that it is the rubber in the axle seals which require grease. I put my bike on a stand and spun the wheel and could hear the axle was where it was coming from - not the brake.

Will I need to remove the wheel to grease? Or can I loosen the axle and just try and shove some into the rubber ring?

Thanks
Old 15-05-18, 07:25 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Can you spray some chain lube onto the seals.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 08:01 PM   #10
Frank_drebbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Can you spray some chain lube onto the seals.
Give that man a gold star! Worked perfectly. Thanks cheers for all comments in the thread.