SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-08, 12:52 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default Curvy under rear seat TRE mod?

I've spent a while searching for a description of the TRE mod at the ICU - but I can't find it. I know it's on here somewhere but it must be in stealth mode.

Anyone go the colours/positions of the wires to cut?

Thanks,
John
Old 23-02-08, 02:23 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Curvy under rear seat TRE mod?

You got a curvy, you should have tried searching for G pack.

Link to previous thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...t=Gpack&page=1
Old 23-02-08, 02:41 PM   #3
DoubleD

do you mean this

How to Disable the Ignition Retard Mechanism on the SV??

its on the main sv650.org site under the FAQs and How tos (about 3 pages down)
Old 23-02-08, 03:20 PM   #4
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
do you mean this

How to Disable the Ignition Retard Mechanism on the SV??

its on the main sv650.org site under the FAQs and How tos (about 3 pages down)
Thanks but no. I have read thru that 'how to'. I have read on here that a couple of wires can be cut near the ICU, under the rear seat. That is the 'how to' I am looking for. What pin numbers and colour codes the relevant wires are.

I know that Hovis had it done on his curvy.

John
Old 23-02-08, 04:05 PM   #5
nomad

Follow this link http://www.suzukisv1000.com/

Click on FAQ in the left column then scroll down to the performance section and click on Timing Retard Eliminator (TREs)

You should find detailed instructions there.

Best of luck!
Old 24-02-08, 12:30 AM   #6
sam anon

Hey,

I've just been surfing and come across this post. Out of curiosity, what does cutting these wires achieve, and why would you want to do it?

Cheers
Old 24-02-08, 01:19 AM   #7
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam hagger View Post
Hey,

I've just been surfing and come across this post. Out of curiosity, what does cutting these wires achieve, and why would you want to do it?

Cheers
Apparently, when the sv is in 2nd or 3rd gear, the timing is retarded slightly in order to reduce the acceleration and hence the exhaust noise. This is what people have posted on here and I have no reason to doubt it. The relevant wires transmit the the fact that 2nd or 3rd gear is engaged to the Ignition control unit which is situated under the pillion seat on the curvy model.

Any retardation of the ignition timing from the optimum will have an effect on the power produced by the engine.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has actually done the mod at the ICU.
Old 24-02-08, 11:05 AM   #8
hovis

if the ICU is the little black box, under the pillion seat (which i call a CDI) then yes, i just pulled the wires out of the connector, i cant remember which ones, i will have a search
Old 24-02-08, 11:09 AM   #9
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
if the ICU is the little black box, under the pillion seat (which i call a CDI) then yes, i just pulled the wires out of the connector, i cant remember which ones, i will have a search
go here
http://www.sv650.tk/
enter site
click on mods
then click on
ignition retarder mod

"now on the multi plug there are two wires one is a red wire with a yellow trace, and the other is a green wire with a blue trace these are the wires you have to remove, on the wire end on the top of the multi plug they are number 3 and 4, so get your tools and use the tweezers/contact pick tool to release the pins on the multiplug, then pull out the 2 wires one by one"

Last edited by hovis; 24-02-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 24-02-08, 11:14 AM   #10
nomad

Quote:
Further to ejohnh's post: I believe that the timing in all the gears below sixth is retarded. It is apparently so that the bike passes the drive by noise tests. It won't affect power much (if at all) but should smooth out the running a little. It seems the effect is most noticeable when an aftermarket exhaust is fitted, the standard retardation in the lower gears causes lots of popping on the overrun, the TRE mod stops this.