SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-09, 02:48 PM   #1
Frank

Default rear suspension setup

After having a few chats with different people ,Im vfed up with blank looks.
When riding solo the front end always seem too light,but when 2 up it feels planted and solid.Is it possible by adjusting the back shock to try and get the same or at least similar result.
Two up the back of the bike is pushed down and therefore stiffer.
So ,my question is,should I go up a notch or two ,or go down.
Going up ,I believe would tighten the spring and give the same result as having a pillion,or would going down soften the spring and allow it to compress more like when 2 up.
I know it is a probably a stupid question ,but ideas would be good
Old 16-05-09, 03:00 PM   #2
skidmarx

Default Re: rear suspension setup

I'm sure you've checked but maybe the front tyre pressure is too high? Also I think that 2 up may compress the rear more giving you a less steep rake angle at the front, think that's the right term. I always find the front feels lighter with a pillion.
Old 16-05-09, 03:50 PM   #3
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx View Post
I'm sure you've checked but maybe the front tyre pressure is too high? Also I think that 2 up may compress the rear more giving you a less steep rake angle at the front, think that's the right term. I always find the front feels lighter with a pillion.
pressures are spot on.
but as you said ,a pillion may change the rake angle.So to try and get a similar effect solo ,should I go up on the rear spring or down.
I think the answer is that simple I cant see it
Old 16-05-09, 03:53 PM   #4
thefallenangel

trial and error?
Old 16-05-09, 03:55 PM   #5
Frank

keep fiddling with it ,just thought a bit of feed back might be good
Old 16-05-09, 04:05 PM   #6
steve.w

I Also find the sv to have a better planted fell 2 up. I have tried altering the rear but imo the only thing that alters is the ride height not the feel. Maybe better shock is the real answer
Old 16-05-09, 04:06 PM   #7
thefallenangel

Gid your shock is 6 years old and no doubt covered a few miles which is probably more of an issue.
Old 16-05-09, 04:08 PM   #8
Frank

12000 miles
and its a superior bandit shock lol
Old 16-05-09, 04:11 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

In this circumstance the first option would be to raise the rear preload, so as to regain the attitude that the machine sits in when riding solo, this will likely improve matters. The great majority of the rider and passenger weight is applied to the rear suspension - leave the front alone initially.
Things to know:
1. Altering the preload does not change the suspension in any material way, all that will be different is that the rear of the bike will sit higher, (ideally back where you like it when you're solo), it will not be harder, and any given bump will have greater effect on the suspension when two-up,
2. If you and your pillion are larger people then the rear spring may not be suitable wherever you set the preload.
3. Although it can be tempting to want to set the suspension to suit extreme circumstances, such as a big bump when two-up, I'd advise against it as the bike will now be awful on smaller bumps one-up.

Which leads directly into:

4. All suspension settings are a compromise, think about it; any given bump puts a given amount of energy into the suspension system, hitting a similar the bump at twice the speed puts consequently more energy into the suspension. A setting suiting one circumstance will not suit the other.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 07:48 AM   #10
ThEGr33k

Start with sag imo. You know about that Gid?