SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-11, 05:42 PM   #1
davepreston

Default what are naked versions of gsxr forks

we all know the gsxr forks are a revelation on the sv but my question is what if you have a naked, i know you can get a comfort kit if nessesary but is there a set of forks that already have the N topyoke but are usd and have the same improvements which like the gsxr would be the straight swap
for both thou and 650 abit these may be different forks due to the thous 46mm diameter, tbh i could do with knowing both

multipule options would be nice, so i have a better chance of finding a bargain

please i know some may answer with the best of intentions but i need fact not probability

begin
Old 19-01-11, 05:47 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: what are naked versions of gsxr forks

You're pretty buggered if you want a straight swap. There is nothing out there as available as GSXR stuff problem is half of "factory streetfighter" (BS!) bikes have their nuts cut in the engine and handling department meaning there is no point, only one is maybe the 'prilla tuono. But this is not cheap for parts.

Both 650 and thou have same options for swap, pointy is same stem as thou. If you are swapping forks anyway what does fork diameter on original matter. You will not fit any USD into 46mm yokes.

I think comfort kit is big con, I just beef up GSXR yoke with some ally plates and bolt risers on. Works well on mine and others.

For my money I would buy some late model (K4>) GSXR 600/750 parts which have right spring rate for you to start with.
Old 19-01-11, 05:56 PM   #3
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
If you are swapping forks anyway what does fork diameter on original matter. You will not fit any USD into 46mm yokes.

ah ha my friend the reason i put this in was i have seen the aprilla shiver has 46mm forks which are usd's so was wondering if i could put them in the sv yokes with a modded axel or shiver wheel or something to that effect (you know the variables more than me)
dont know if they are better forks but coming from aprilla i was assuming so (its not as budget a bike)
Old 19-01-11, 05:56 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

aren't the SV1000 cartridge forks anyway?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 06:00 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
ah ha my friend the reason i put this in was i have seen the aprilla shiver has 46mm forks which are usd's so was wondering if i could put them in the sv yokes with a modded axel or shiver wheel or something to that effect (you know the variables more than me)
dont know if they are better forks but coming from aprilla i was assuming so (its not as budget a bike)
That is 46mm on stanchions... tops will be 50mm+.

For example SRAD is 43mm fork, but actual diameters in yokes are 50 and 54mm.
Old 19-01-11, 06:04 PM   #6
davepreston

its all part of a long complicated 2 version 2 sv's upgradeing one and useing parts from other to upgrade the other one

madness i know but a cheaper way to do things concidering the mentalness of the plans in its entireity

which is uper duper secert atm
Old 19-01-11, 06:06 PM   #7
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
That is 46mm on stanchions... tops will be 50mm+.

For example SRAD is 43mm fork, but actual diameters in yokes are 50 and 54mm.
you see this is why i ask people who have a scoobies about these things before spending a fortune
Old 19-01-11, 06:08 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Aprilia forks will be a fortune if you can even find any. Keep your eye out for cheap (recent) GSXR stuff. Preferably no older than K1, preferably not 1000 stuff either or you might as well keep forks from your thou.
Old 19-01-11, 06:23 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

SV1000 front end fits Pointy 650 easily.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 08:46 PM   #10
davepreston

yea sid im thinking of sticking the thou front end on a 650 and getting a usd naked set for the thou, i will be running 2 projects concurrently ,one a simple project the other something altogether funkier