SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-11, 10:43 PM   #1
monkey

Default Can someone post a quick 'how to take out an engine' checklist please?

For a curvy, assuming plastics, tank and airbox are off.

Fankyooooo!

Are there any special tools required?

Last edited by monkey; 26-05-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 26-05-11, 11:43 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Can someone post a quick 'how to take out an engine' checklist please

Remove the exhaust. Best of luck with the front studs.

Disconnect the HT leads, the alternator plug (rear seat cowel, right hand side), and the neutral switch (not the sidestand switch).

Disconnect the clutch cable engine side, and the throttle cables carb side, and the choke cable carb side. Unplug the electrics to the carb. You could remove the engine with the carbs in situ but it depends on the intended outcome.

Drain the coolant and remove the radiator. I suppose its possible to remove the engine with the cooling system still in place, but I've not done this and you risk damaging the rad. Disconnect the horn, you may need to remove it depending on the mounting point and what your doing with the rad and the cable routing.

Remove the chain. I'd recommend undoing the front sprocket nut with the engine in place and the chain still attached as they can be a bit of fun. If its not possible to remove the nut and even if it is you still will have some interesting chain issues as you won't be able to take the front sprocket off. So you've two choices, split the chain or take the rear wheel out so you have some slack in the chain.

After that its just the engine mounting bolts. I use a jack to support the engine weight as I do it and I find its best with the help of an assistant. Its not a 5 minute job and I wouldn't recommend doing it on a driveway if your picking a bike up as the last removal I did took about 2-3 hours and that was without any bolts giving me trouble. Actually it was longer as I needed to drill a bolt out but you wanted the list without plastics...

Thats about it. To be honest if I've missed something it should be obvious as you do it as you'll get to a point where the removal stops as you've forgotten to unhook something. This is the benefit of having an assistant. They can support the weight of the engine while you have a cup of tea and workout what is still connected and how best to disconnect it.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-11, 11:54 PM   #3
monkey

Default Re: Can someone post a quick 'how to take out an engine' checklist please

Thanks very much! That's lovely of you.

I was just reading about SH2 so I can see you're well practised.

We're planning on swapping a perfectly good engine with the slightly ill one from the bike we're getting and then hoping to fix the ill one before putting it back in. I'll have to come back to this thread to remind me of the major do's as Bear didn't remove the front sprocket when he took his Kwak engine out and that created all sorts of grief.

Thanks again.
Old 27-05-11, 08:22 AM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I'd recommend undoing the front sprocket nut with the engine in place and the chain still attached as they can be a bit of fun. If its not possible to remove the nut and even if it is you still will have some interesting chain issues as you won't be able to take the front sprocket off. So you've two choices, split the chain or take the rear wheel out so you have some slack in the chain.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
After that its just the engine mounting bolts. I use a jack to support the engine weight as I do it and I find its best with the help of an assistant.
I am Debbie McGee

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-11, 09:03 AM   #5
muzikill
Mega Poster

Good luck! - keep us updated how you get on or get stuck, and the rebuild too (take some pics!)
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-11, 01:31 AM   #6
monkey

Default Re: Can someone post a quick 'how to take out an engine' checklist please?

Cheers muzikill. There's a thread HERE which I'll use to document what we're doing.
Old 30-05-11, 09:46 AM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Can someone post a quick 'how to take out an engine' checklist please?

A friend once stated "Engine swap can't be that hard, I mean I'm no engineer but I can undo bolts, and sooner or later gravity will take care of the rest..."

Jambo
Old 30-05-11, 09:52 AM   #8
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
A friend once stated "Engine swap can't be that hard, I mean I'm no engineer but I can undo bolts, and sooner or later gravity will take care of the rest..."

Jambo