SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-14, 08:35 PM   #1
Rich Clarke

Default ZZR1400 rear shock on Pointy - settings?

I fitted a shock off a ZZR1400 to my pointy K3 and initially found it an improvement over the standard shock. As I've got used to it I've found that the rear end starts sliding out (oversteer) when I'm getting on the gas out of corners, esp in the wet.

I've been meaning to set it up properly for ages but haven't got round to it until today. I found there's very little sag which will be the cause of the loose rear end. I ended up (tediously) winding almost all of the preload off to get about 35mm of sag when I lift the rear end up. It now rides much better, albeit its not quite so direct on the steering front.

If you are looking for a replacement rear shock, perhaps the ZZR unit isn't the best choice, if you are a lighter individual. I'm a big old bear (16st) so its ok with me with almost all the preload wound off.

Thought I'd share the experience.

Rich
Old 30-05-14, 08:52 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: ZZR1400 Rear Shock

you need to measure 'static (bike)' sag which is between 5-10mm and rider sag which is between 25-30mm depending on shaft stroke you can go a little more with a longer shaft. 35mm of static (bike) sag is way to much. you will bottom your shock out when you put your weight on it and hit bumps.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-14, 09:05 PM   #3
Rich Clarke

Default Re: ZZR1400 Rear Shock

I agree if you measure by sitting on the bike first, but as I was alone I did it by feel ie lifting the rear subframe to see how much lift I could get before reaching full extension. A bit unscientific but I prefer what feels right rather than measuring mm here and there. I club and endurance raced for 5 years so have bit of an idea about how I like a bike to feel. I'll fine tune the suspension after changing tyres. Any recommendations on hoops? I city commute a lot but I'm looking to throw in the occasional trackday?
Rich