SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-15, 03:45 PM   #1
Fen Tiger

Default Bolts, front exhaust header precaution pointy

I have been busy getting my bike as resistant to winter as I can and wondered whether anyone else had taken the precaution of removing the front exhaust header hex bolts to put some antiseize on the threads while they will still come out cleanly.

I have read several posts which show how these bolts snap once a few years old so I am considering taking them out as a precaution whilst the bike is still in good nick.

Is it that the majority of these bolts will come out cleanly after a few years and only the problem bolts make it to the forum?

Has anyone removed these on a bike that has seen some weather and not had an issue?

I have treated the front mudguard mounting bolts and side panel bolts to some antiseize but am reluctant to undo the exhaust bolts in case the seal is disturbed.

Interested in your thoughts on this......

Last edited by Fen Tiger; 14-11-15 at 03:46 PM.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 05:20 PM   #2
chirpy999

Default Re: Bolts, front exhaust header precaution pointy

Hi, I think that is a wise precaution to do. The hex head bolts are a nice feature on the Sv, so much better than studs and locknuts to hold the exhaust on.
chirpy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 07:42 PM   #3
gt900uk

Default Re: Bolts, front exhaust header precaution pointy

I agree worth doing, I had a hell of a time with mine. You won't disturb the seal doing it. Get some high temp antiseize, not sure copper slip will do the job well.