SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-17, 03:53 PM   #1
lenny1

Default Charging issues

Hi folks,
My bike wouldn't start last week out of the blue, no juice in the battery. On charging it up, my battery has checked out fine. On doing multimeter checks it now appears there is no charge going into the battery, hence it running out on a ride. Multimeter checks on both the alternator and rectifier show they are as they should be. I have replaced a couple of wires between the alternator and rectifier and still no charge going into the battery with some revs. Is there still a possibility it's the regulator rectifier, even though all 3 wires were consistant & with no apparent damage, and am I right in thinking a reg from another Suzuki might be better suited? I have a 2000 SV650s.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-17, 04:32 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: Charging issues

Hi, this is a really common problem so before rushing off to spend money possibly unnecessarily its worth double checking things. I would run through the recommended checks found by searching on this site or post on here the readings that you have already taken so that we can give you a hand.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 04:48 PM   #3
lenny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Hi, this is a really common problem so before rushing off to spend money possibly unnecessarily its worth double checking things. I would run through the recommended checks found by searching on this site or post on here the readings that you have already taken so that we can give you a hand.

Thanks. I've had a search and all the continuity checks, checking to ground, output checks, ohms resistance etc are things I've done. Is it worth putting the results on here as other people have done? I saw on one YouTube clip that there is a test on rectifiers that can't be done at home?
Old 07-06-17, 05:31 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

make sure that the battery terminals are tight at the battery and the main fuse. trace back from the battery till you get power. you then know its from there onwards.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 07:01 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Id clean up all the connections and while they are available do the alternator output check.Three yellow wires come from alternator to regulator and these should be tested with your meter.You should get around 60 volts ac from each wire when tested against each other wire and each should be similar to the others.Engine running of course.If they test ok and all the connections are good its either a duff battery or rectfier.What results did you get at the battery?
Old 07-06-17, 07:14 PM   #6
lenny1

The battery is showing around 13.5. With the engine running & revs there is no increase. I have around 50 coming out of the alternator on all 3 pins, this increases to around 147 at 5000 revs. This reading goes all the way up to the regulator on all 3 wires, suggesting the rectifier is at fault. I've checked this though & all 3 pins giving a consistent reading.
Old 07-06-17, 08:02 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

whats the voltage coming from the rec/reg at the disconnected plug?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 08:23 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny1 View Post
The battery is showing around 13.5. With the engine running & revs there is no increase. I have around 50 coming out of the alternator on all 3 pins, this increases to around 147 at 5000 revs. This reading goes all the way up to the regulator on all 3 wires, suggesting the rectifier is at fault. I've checked this though & all 3 pins giving a consistent reading.
50v is too low from the Stator.It should be 70VAC at the yellow wires end from the Stator before the R/R.

HTH
Old 08-06-17, 06:53 PM   #9
glang

50 does sound a bit low but it depends on revs and as the voltage went up to 147 on reving I reckon the alternator is probably ok. Sounds like the next step is checking the R/R by either measuring the various resistances as shown on here or swopping it. Of course it could still be a battery problem (they can show good volts but have no guts to them), poor electrical connection in the starter circuit or an actual starter problem.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 07:58 PM   #10
lenny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
whats the voltage coming from the rec/reg at the disconnected plug?
I've just checked the output from the rr again and it's only giving out 1.2V, even though the checks when it's unplugged are all ok! I think there's my problem, hopefully