SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-14, 10:06 PM   #1
Foot

Default Riding position?

I seem to have a problem with how much weight I put on my wrists. I spent 3-4 hours in twisty parts of the peak district and even a day after my wrists hurt -
particularly my throttle wrist.
I'm young and healthy (and weigh 11 stone), so this really shouldn't be happening especially taking into consideration how forgiving the riding position of the
SV is, even the s
model.
So I'm thinking there is perhaps something wrong with my riding position.. I've only recently started to scoot backwards on the seat which has made a good
difference to control and comfort when at speed but there's still so much weight on my wrists. If I'm going over bumpy roads then I put weight on the footpegs
to load the suspension, this eases it off of my wrist but this is uncomfortable over long distances so it's always on the wrists.
When just cruising there's not a lot of weight on the footpegs.

So, can anyone suggest changes I can make to ease it off a bit?
I will not get rid of my clip ons for straight bars though. In fact, I won't change anything about the bike since I've had a similar problem with my last two bikes
and it's only going to get worse with going down the inline 4 sports bike route! So hopefully it's something wrong with how I'm sitting.
I will also accept the advice to just get over it and accept bikes that are uncomfortable (on the whole!).
Old 10-08-14, 10:47 PM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding position

You need some higher clipons. Helibars are a direct swap and no cables need altering, but I believe they are D/C'ing them soon. Acossato and others are not sv specific, but do fit. You may well need to alter clutch, brake and switch gear cables. Many people have done them and there are lots of threads if you search for them.

HTH
Old 10-08-14, 10:49 PM   #3
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
You need some higher clipons. Helibars are a direct swap and no cables need altering, but I believe they are D/C'ing them soon. Acossato and others are not sv specific, but do fit. You may well need to alter clutch, brake and switch gear cables. Many people have done them and there are lots of threads if you search for them.

HTH

Thank's for the advice - will go to this if I can't change anything else.
Would you expect the need to do this with someone who is 5 foot 9 though?
Old 10-08-14, 10:53 PM   #4
Tomor
Mega Poster

I wouldn't have thought so. I had the helibars on my old sv as I didn't find it very comfortable. Made it better as I did cornwall and a few all day rides, but the street triple was perfect
Old 10-08-14, 11:00 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You need to strengthen your core muscles. This includes your lumbar region (lower back), trapezius and laterals (upper back), shoulders, chest and abdomen (stomach). By strengthening these muscles your body will be more inclined to keep itself supported, rather than relying on your wrists, arms and legs to keep the whole body supported.
Old 10-08-14, 11:07 PM   #6
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
You need to strengthen your core muscles. This includes your lumbar region (lower back), trapezius and laterals (upper back), shoulders, chest and abdomen (stomach). By strengthening these muscles your body will be more inclined to keep itself supported, rather than relying on your wrists, arms and legs to keep the whole body supported.
Again I can't see this hugely being the problem, I'm very active and exercise, particularly core strength, I swim and rock climb which both need it. So do you suggest I should just work a way of letting the rest of my body taking it?
Old 10-08-14, 11:19 PM   #7
Tomor
Mega Poster

How long have you had the bike?
Old 11-08-14, 02:53 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

my suggestion is stop riding with your arms straight.

Quote:
If I'm going over bumpy roads then I put weight on the footpegs to load the suspension
what! how can you 'load the suspension' any more than the weight already on the bike, you can only shift the weight distribution by shifting your body mass you cant add any more mass to 'load' the suspension any more than there already is.

being fit or doing rock climbing etc has nothing to do with the core muscles you use for riding a motorcycle if it did then your wrists would not hurt. you use more lower back, shoulder and inner thigh muscles than you would normally.

grip the tank with your knees and bend your elbows so your forearms are as parallel to the road surface as possible. this makes your arms act like a hinge and doing so takes the weight off your wrists.

the other thing you have to do is set your levers up properly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 06:27 AM   #9
Sebulba

I had a similar problem and the thing that helped most were tank pads. They help you grip the tank with your knees and inner thighs thus taking the weight off your wrists.
Old 11-08-14, 06:45 AM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

How tight is the clothing around your lower arms and wrists? Anything that restricts movement or blood flow to the hands/wrists is going to lead to earlier fatigue. Even silly things like your watch strap being compressed by the cuff of your leathers can make a difference.

2nd checking the levers as well. As a general rule if you rest your fingers on them there should be a straight line down the top of your forearm extending along the back of your fingers. If your fingers are bent back then for most people they will be to high.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote