SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-13, 07:15 PM   #21
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crashed last night :(

Videos are deceiving in terms of speed. It looks like you are doing the speed limit, riding safely/considerately and giving yourself & other road users room. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-13, 07:21 PM   #22
stuR

It was certainly not your fault. I would have been riding the same. Damn cagers!
Old 20-04-13, 07:32 PM   #23
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
please someone back me up here? welcome to add me on facebook. Are they right he is undertaking? Is he breaking the speed limit?

kevin daglish
If you look at the video, the bus lane ends before the pedestrian crossing, and there isn't 2 lanes marked out on the road. Think it is more up to your interpretation of the situation and how you would read the road when riding it.
Personally i wouldn't be travelling at 30mph down the inside of stopped vehicles. Lots of hazards around-pedestrians crossing, cyclists and the approaching junction.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-13, 07:46 PM   #24
rictus01
Mega Poster

Not having a go or any thing but this type of thing happens all the time, it's easy to just blame others driving, but that's not to say you can't improve your own odds of completing your journey.

Now playing devils advocate....

whilst "fault" is in little doubt, being legally in the right doesn't stop injuries, a few things you clearly missed here, since the opening of bus lanes this type of incident has become more prolific, firstly on your video; at 0.24 you approach the rear quarter of a panel van, you can't see through it (first warning to slow), there is a turning on the left adjacent to the front of that van (second warning to slow), safety bollards are placed on the junction corners, indicating accidents have happened there before (third warning to slow down), between the front of the van and the car ahead; is enough gap to squeeze a car through (foruth warning to slow down), and of course traveling on the left of traffic requires greater care at anytime.

having say that, hope you recover as soon as possible and don't get dicked about too much through process.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 20-04-13 at 07:48 PM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-13, 07:51 PM   #25
punkyp

Probably would have got me too. By the way, what camera is that?

GWS
Old 20-04-13, 07:52 PM   #26
Phil 1

Ouch, sorry to hear this and hope you made a speedy recovery. Get back on two wheels as quick as possible as the longer you put it off, the harder it will be to get your confidence back.

I'm going to play devils advocate and say I think you were going too fast for the road conditions. Although it's certainly not your fault, It could have perhaps been avoided to an extent. I certainly wouldn't have been travelling any faster than 5-10mph over what the vehicles either side is.
Although it's conjecture as you could have hit it head on if you'd have been going just a little bit slower rather than being swiped off. You'd have had to be going a lot slower to have avoided it altogether.

Good luck in getting better and back up, that's the main thing.

Last edited by Phil 1; 20-04-13 at 07:53 PM.
Old 20-04-13, 08:33 PM   #27
madnlooney

GWS, this is why i dont travel in bus lanes if i can avoid them in traffic. When in them i feel im not seen too well by people either coming in or out of the side roads plus people think the traffic has all stopped and edge in like that car did, i think they would of seen a bus due to the height of them but didnt see you without edging in as they did
Old 20-04-13, 08:40 PM   #28
leebex

that video made me wince too, the camera helps show your side of things, Id really like to get one too with the amount of near misses I seem to have on a daily basis, what camera is it?

Oh and get well soon

Lee
Old 20-04-13, 09:04 PM   #29
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear about your accident and wish you a full recovery.

Regards if the accident was avoidable, I'd say "it was".

Speed seems higher than would have been advisable, coupled with not very good observation.

I see similar situations all the time and have lost count of the number of accidents I've prevented various two wheeled and four wheeled vehicles from having.

Things of note are, the gap in front of the van, side street on the left and your positioning.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-13, 09:07 PM   #30
Bluepete
Mega Poster

From the point of view of a guy who deals with these events, has the benefit of a huge amount of training and a massive sense of self preservation, I'll make the following statement.

You approached the junction to the left with a gap in the traffic to your right with little consideration that a car MAY turn across your path. You had no view into the gap that the car appeared from because of the traffic in that queue. Equally, the car driver couldn't have seen you until a nanosecond before the collision due to the same obstruction to his view.

Whilst the collision wasn't your fault, your riding was contributory. You didn't leave that margin for error that keeps bikers alive.

Just my POV.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote