SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-13, 07:43 AM   #41
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Crashed last night :(

GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor38 View Post
I just feel its unfair to blame the focus driver that was trying to slowly edge out, what else was he supposed to do?

li
Wait
Old 21-04-13, 07:43 AM   #42
savage86

Show it to your own solicitor first they should be able to made the call whether the video is in your favour or not. Hope your all good and on the mend.
Old 21-04-13, 07:45 AM   #43
FG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
GWS

Wait

For how long ?
Old 21-04-13, 07:59 AM   #44
Woogie

Personally (and im not just saying this because I hit him) but if I was the focus driver I would have waited for the first van to move first and then edged out slightly, especially in London (or any other big city) due to the sheer volume of cyclists and motorbikes that are riding around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage86 View Post
Show it to your own solicitor first they should be able to made the call whether the video is in your favour or not. Hope your all good and on the mend.
Why? It is evidence in a crash investigation, If it helps the focus driver then good, if it helps me even better. I cannot expect to ride around with a helmet cam and hide it if it shows something slightly damning towards myself.

Last edited by Woogie; 21-04-13 at 08:01 AM.
Old 21-04-13, 08:00 AM   #45
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
For how long ?
Until it's safe. How long is a life worth.
Old 21-04-13, 08:07 AM   #46
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Until it's safe. How long is a life worth.
Sorry mate, but i disagree. Have you driven a car? The guys sat behind the length of a bonnet, he needs to edge out slowly to see if its safe.

If he sat further back, he wouldnt be able to see anything, and could possibly be sat there forever non the wiser of whether its safe or not. He wasnt to know a bike was going to come teararsing down the lane close up to the stationary traffic.
Old 21-04-13, 08:20 AM   #47
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

I have driven a car since 1981 and so far have not had an accident due to impatience. The length of the bonnet is the reason he should have waited as you state he COULD NOT SEE where or what he was driving into.
Old 21-04-13, 08:23 AM   #48
Phil 1

I'd agree that it would be very difficult for the driver of the car to see properly. I don't know how many people on here drive cars as well, but as the owner of a MG ZT, I can safely say it's extremely difficult/impossible to see when you've 3-4 feet of bonnet in front of you and the only option you've got is to edge out very slowly so that it gives time for people to react to your presence until you are able to see yourself. I would however say that the car drive wasn't edging out slowly, but simply crossing the road at a normal speed without any thought to something being in the lane.

If I was dealing with this claim I'd certainly say it was a 50/50 claim on the basis that the motorcycle rider was riding too quickly and not giving him/herself any chance should something cross the path, and the car driver for not slowly edging out through stationary traffic and crossing a lane which could have moving traffic in.

For the time being though, concentrate on getting yourself well and give yourself plenty of time to digest what's happened. When you're back up to full strength, have another look at the video and ask yourself what you could have done differently, what actions you could have taken which could have prevented this happening and use it as a tool to improve your riding rather than something to show your mates.
Old 21-04-13, 08:40 AM   #49
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 1 View Post
I would however say that the car drive wasn't edging out slowly, but simply crossing the road at a normal speed without any thought to something being in the lane.
Probably wasn't expecting anything smaller than a bus.

Reminds me of one of my first driving lessons. Stopped at a junction the instructor asked what am I looking out for ... "oncoming traffic". No he said, you're looking for a clear road, if you can't see that then you can't tell its safe. The car driver could see there was no bus, but couldn't see and didn't check that the lane was clear.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-13, 08:41 AM   #50
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Crashed last night :(

GWS mate, **** situation.

At least you have the driver, my first off the f*cker didn't stop!

Regards to a hire vehicle, you can request a car if you are unable to ride a bike. I did that last time as I broke my hand am had it in a cast. As long as you have a car licence and declare the injuries/casts etc to them when requesting the car instead of bike and your doc says you are fit to drive, no worries!