SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-10-07, 02:49 PM   #1
Aidan

Default Throttle Valve Synchronisation - help!

I'm trying to sychronise my throttles on my K3.

I've followed the workshop manual which requires me to disconnect and remove the airbox. To remove the airbox I have to disconnect the IAT, PAIR and IAP sensors.
The next instruction is to reconnect them - how can this be done as the airbox is removed? Also it asks to connect the vacuum hose - I haven't disconnected a vacuum hose. What should I do?

It all looked so simple in the book!
Old 05-10-07, 03:01 PM   #2
John Burt

Default Re: Throttle Valve Synchronisation - help!

Remove airbox, connect balancing gauges, re-fit airbox. start engine, warm up, balance carbs, put back to normal. PS for throttle bodies read carbs.
Old 05-10-07, 03:16 PM   #3
tonyt

I think it can be done without removing the airbox.... I didn't when I done the TBs on my 1000.... I did have to get my lad to get the hoses on the TBs tho ..lot smaller hands than mine...
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 03:59 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No need to remove the airbox, use a pair of long nose pliers and you can connect the vaccum hoses without removal of other bits and pieces.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 04:22 PM   #5
thor

Worth leaving some legth of hose on vacuum ports and then sealing at the end of the hose. Saves scraped knuckles next time.
Old 05-10-07, 04:49 PM   #6
tonyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Worth leaving some legth of hose on vacuum ports and then sealing at the end of the hose. Saves scraped knuckles next time.
Yes a must!!! all there for next time..
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 03:55 PM   #7
Aidan

Cheers!

All synchronised. It is truely a waste of time removing the air box. Afterall the ports are underneath the throttle bodies and the adjustment screw is easily accessible with the tank up.

Next week tappet adjustment
Old 05-11-07, 05:00 PM   #8
Kyytsis

My Curvy -00 was somewhat "wavy" on the last rides of the season, running a steady 6000rpm waiting for an piece of open road to get past some cage was not what one would say smooth... On full throttle and lower revs it is not noticeable, but on part throttle ay 6000rm with a passanger it's not very nice.

I was thinking that carbs would be out of sync and that causes the un-even power output. I found this insction http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...svs_carb_sync/ from the net - is it really that painful to do?
Old 05-11-07, 07:35 PM   #9
I'm_a_Newbie

What type of gauge did you use? Did you calibrate the gauge(s) to one cylinder only?

Did you know you should adjust the TPS sensor after balancing the throttle bodies? It can make slow speed control of the bike smoother. Very easy to do with the right tool.

Tim.
Old 05-11-07, 07:56 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyytsis View Post
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...svs_carb_sync/ from the net - is it really that painful to do?
How the hell did they manage to spend 2 days balancing carbs?

Best way is to leave a stub of tubing on the front pots vacuum spigot and leave it plugged and route it up to the wire clip behind the headstock, makes it a 20 minute job to do next time if that.