SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-09, 02:55 PM   #1
sv182

Default Laid-up Bike Insurance

Good Afternoon All.

Hope everyone is well and I have put this in the right section.

My situation is, I'm in two minds as to what I should do about my bike insurance which is due for renewal on the 12th November. I WILL be up grading to a 1000cc machine of some description in the near future and I don't expect to be using the SV much during the winter months.

Whats the craic on laid-up bike insurance? I've yet to come across a well known company that have it as an option for an online quote so would like any suggestions/recommendations going.

The only thing I have thought about is, insure it Fully Comp which will make it easier to up grade the insurance when the new machine is in the garage. What I am trying to do is avoid having to cancel a policy x months in.

Cheers
Old 08-11-09, 11:17 PM   #2
sutlane

Default Re: Laid-up Bike Insurance

I used to work in bike insurance and I must admit never heard of laid up bike insurance, however if you insure third party fire and theft then it will be a lot cheaper but cover you if it gets nicked. If you give them an annual mileage of 500 or 1000 miles then this will also be taken into account.

As for upgrading most insurers seem pretty flexible but worth speaking to them first. All will upgrade your policy to fully comp and to another bike as and when you want to, you will just pay for the additional premium required for the months left to run on the policy.

Even if you want to cancel a policy and then a couple of months later get another bike and reinsure, if you go back to the same company they will often take the cancellation fee off the new insurance price (ensure you agree this with them before you cancel/take out the first policy). Hope this makes sense, feel free to PM me with any questions, or if in doubt give the copmany a call and speak to an advisor.
Old 08-11-09, 11:37 PM   #3
scottjames

ive had laid up cover before but struggled to get it a month a go for my gixxer and had to insure it properly. seems most places have stopped doing it. hth
Old 09-11-09, 12:00 AM   #4
KeithCRM

If you do find somebody to offer a laid up policy it might not be much cheaper than TPFT, I found that

Keep it TPFT, you're bound to get some good days when you'll want to ride, keeps up the NCD as well.

KeithCRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:32 PM   #5
Dicky Ticker

Add it onto your household insurance and as far as your NCB is concerned it is normally valid for a year after expiry of the policy