SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-08, 03:18 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Race Report

My attemt at racing was fun but ended in disater, in the fact I messed up the timmings between check points. I was fooked off with my self but hey, I gave it my best.

I had no idea what I had got myself into went in blind, you know I would have liked a but more info for the club before I got there so I knew exeactly what was going on.

The kind of people that enter this race are TT Riders this guy was on a 848 The French supermoto chapmion or was he the world one he was dam good anyway. These guys are top riders people I want to be. SO yeah I was in over head their skill level was awesome.

The actual race its self is a road rally so that means its on normal public roads that have been closed off. So usual road hazards of walls, fences barbed wire ect. Its done in 4 timed stages you have to go as fast as possibale around them in the shortest time, then you head out onto the road sections which isn't part of the race. However you still have to get to each stage in a certian time. SO the fast I was doing down there was about 160kph or 100mph. Some bike were doing 130mph.

This was first time ever riding a bike in europe (I have never driven a car over there either) on the road side of road. I got the hang of that most until I though s*** I was over 100kph on the left hand side of the road! Didn't do that again.

The Wednesday and Thursday are pratisce days to go around the circuit to see where to go, what it looks like ect. As it on the road, the wrong side you have rememeber where to go. By Thursday night I was happy circuit becasue I was going to slow anyway around it, getting to stages I wasn't.

Friday is a waste of time as you just put race numbers on the bike, clean it and they have to a pradae through Leige. Up for surenterring which is total waste of time for bike. They were like lights, brake light okay pass This went on for hours waiting for them to mess about I was so bored they checked my driving licence ect. I would rather another day on the bike, but things don't move fast enough there for that to happen.

RACE DAY

The night before on Friday I had some very strange dreams I didn't sleep properly at all, I woke up in a cold sweat after a nightmare which upset me. Normally I sleep like the dead but that night I didn't. I was so nervous it was untrue, I don't normally get sacred of anything that night I was.

So Saturday.......

With all the nerves and doubts that had enetered my mind (like dude WTF are you doing!) I made mistakes as I made more then as below I messed up bad;

I'm not the best person when it comes to directions or doing math this is where I made my mistake, I took the wrong way to a stage got the time wrong so went over the time limit for the rally so that was the end of me.

On the upside I didn't crash the bike which is a plus nor do I hurt self, one of team was unluckly and broke his wrist in 4 places.

What Now?

Well after having a long chat with some of the guys and taking their advice I'm doing extra training, hence why I'm joining IAM to improve my bike control.

More track days and a race school as well so come next year I'm ready have given myself the best chance I can.

I'm now on the look out for a supermoto bike to use which I can crash and drop and learn control over a bike and to race next year. To do this race you a bike you can bin.

When you take into account my experince, who I was up against it was an awesome experince that I learned from. I mean would any of you have the balls to do this?

Old 28-05-08, 03:43 PM   #2
JediGoat

Default Re: Race Report

I'm confused....did you get to do any of the stages?
Old 28-05-08, 03:44 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Yes I did, sorry is that not clear?

Old 28-05-08, 03:48 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Sounds like you had fun anyway, regardless of whether or not you got to finish properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by svracer12 View Post
I mean would any of you have the balls to do this?
I'm not sure its balls it takes to do your first race in belgium with no previous experience etc, something else maybe.
Old 28-05-08, 03:51 PM   #5
JediGoat

Quote:
Yes I did, sorry is that not clear?
Quote:
I'm not the best person when it comes to directions or doing math this is where I made my mistake, I took the wrong way to a stage got the time wrong so went over the time limit for the rally so that was the end of me.

On the upside I didn't crash the bike which is a plus nor do I hurt self, one of team was unluckly and broke his wrist in 4 places.
Well, you don't actually mention how the stages went, so I assumed you hadn't done any.
Old 28-05-08, 03:52 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Sounds like you had fun anyway, regardless of whether or not you got to finish properly

Yes it was fun!

I'm not sure its balls it takes to do your first race in belgium with no previous experience etc, something else maybe.
Ah yes you will find most racers will have had a part of their brain removed to race, I still need a bit more taking away.

Old 28-05-08, 03:54 PM   #7
JediGoat

Whoops, I should have added well done for getting a race under your belt, and good news that you didn't hurt yourself or anyone else.

Please though, do not confuse courage with impatience
Old 28-05-08, 03:55 PM   #8
Devil Biccy

Well done on getting out there Chris having a go and coming back and with no scratches to you or the bike,( Maybe down to lady luck?) perhaps how you describe your time out there needs a little look at as it would potentially offend some people in the Massive?

Last edited by Devil Biccy; 29-05-08 at 09:25 AM. Reason: extra added

Old 28-05-08, 04:37 PM   #9
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
I mean would any of you have the balls to do this?
no, you're my hero

Old 28-05-08, 04:41 PM   #10
Jackhammer

Quote:
.... I mean would any of you have the balls to do this?
Cheeky Tw@

Closed Thread