SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-10-08, 08:51 PM   #21
zsv650

Default Re: The MTB thread

thinking of sticking some hydraulic disc brakes on my claud butler instead of the cable disc's then i'll do some proper riding hahahahaha.
Old 21-10-08, 08:54 PM   #22
northwind
Mega Poster

Just getting back into riding myself, and decided my 16-year-old carrera rigid wasn't really up to it so got me a very lightly used Carrera Kraken...

Not the most flattering photo And yes, I'm fully aware the seat's too low. It was mint and almost unridden, so naturally I immediately crashed it and covered it with scratches. Nice enough bike, wee bit heavy and the stock bars as seen in that pic were ridiculously high and forward, it preferred wheelies to climbing and descending was a bit hairy too... So I stuck a set of flat easton carbon monkeys on it. Oh, and a pair of V8 pedals, since the stockers had no grip at all. It's a nice enough bike, all fairly budget but none of it's rubbish, sort of like an SV. Heavy, though, and the tyres are horrible, nevegals in the post. Took it down to glentress a couple of weeks ago, too cowardly for red but it took all the blues in its stride.

But it has the Stigmata of Halfords on it
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-08, 09:00 PM   #23
zsv650

ewwwww halfords bike only joking looks a good bit of kit they always take a bit of adjustment here and theyre to get em right still fiddling with my bike and i got it a coupla months ago
Old 21-10-08, 09:02 PM   #24
northwind
Mega Poster

All I know is I spent all day at glentress chasing people whose forks cost more than my entire bike, and it did OK Though very out of shape at times, the forks are a bit marginal. I figure if I keep it up through the winter I'll flog it next year and get something a bit nicer.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-08, 09:05 PM   #25
zsv650

ha you think your forks are bad ive got cheapo sun something suspension on mine they let the bike down a little as the frame and everything else is excellent theyre really squashy and the adjustment doesnt do naff all may change them along with the brakes.
Old 21-10-08, 09:07 PM   #26
Tim in Belgium

Some shots of my baby, a Giant XTC Composite (note frame material ) :

Pedals now have the external plastic cages removed and the bike has had a year of abuse, new pads, chain, rear cassette, front sprockets (?), 1 new front brake lever assembly, 1 wheel straightening, 3 brake lever mounting kits, 2 services, 1 adventure race, 2 winter lane quests, and plenty of action in the woods.

Holland is going to be dull, but it will be accompanying me on Nurburgring trips next year in case it rains.....
Old 21-10-08, 09:09 PM   #27
zsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Some shots of my baby, a Giant XTC Composite (note frame material ) :

Pedals now have the external plastic cages removed and the bike has had a year of abuse, new pads, chain, rear cassette, front sprockets (?), 1 new front brake lever assembly, 1 wheel straightening, 3 brake lever mounting kits, 2 services, 1 adventure race, 2 winter lane quests, and plenty of action in the woods.

Holland is going to be dull, but it will be accompanying me on Nurburgring trips next year in case it rains.....
wow full carbon fibre frame thats well flashy
Old 21-10-08, 09:11 PM   #28
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
And all pretty reasonably priced as well
Old 21-10-08, 09:20 PM   #29
Law

Quote:
ha you think your forks are bad ive got cheapo sun something suspension on mine they let the bike down a little as the frame and everything else is excellent theyre really squashy and the adjustment doesnt do naff all may change them along with the brakes.
I have naff Suntour forks, I seem to have the opposite problem, difficult to squash and nowhere near the full 100mm full travel but that may be due to my light weight. Adjustment does nothing as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
And all pretty reasonably priced as well
Really? The carbon fibre ones I have seen are about £4k(give or take a grand) new which is ridiculous for a bike with no engine! Still, carbon fibre mmmm sweeeet..... oh wait I'm looking at carbon fibre fs bikes.. doh!

Last edited by Law; 21-10-08 at 09:28 PM.
Old 21-10-08, 09:24 PM   #30
zsv650

thats em suntour rubbish theyre actually leaking aswell.