SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-09, 06:27 AM   #501
malks

Default Re: The MTB thread

should be a fun weekend of biking this should be. heading to carron valley this morning for a blast round there with a friend. then maybe off to comrie round some other trails later depending how my legs hold up!
then tomorrow it's the Scottish canoe slalom champs so peeps may be taking bikes for a blast after the canoeing is done up near aberfeldy.
then Sunday we're meant to be heading laggan wolftrax some fun up there. been a few times now and it's always a good laugh!
the only problem is I'm going to be going with some friends who are full time athletes! I am far from even a part time athlete! so think my wee legs will be completely shot by 10mins into today's ride at carron valley! maybe take some pics if I manage to take the camera and not break it if/when I come off and land in some hedges!
Old 25-09-09, 06:26 PM   #502
northwind
Mega Poster

You're doomed
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-09, 11:04 PM   #503
ThEGr33k

Kona Coiler 04 frame. What you think for a bit of XC and freeriding/DH. Something that can do a bit of everything competently?

Cheers
Old 27-09-09, 05:09 PM   #504
malks

well northy you were kinda right on the outcome of the weekend! having been made redundant i was enjoying maybe a few too many ciders on thursday evening! so i got myself along to carron valley, set off to the trails, i managed 5mins in and had to stop to be sick. completely light headed and some good sick being thrown up (my mates found this hilarious and got a good picture of it!) so i had to head back to the car and couldnt make it round. went home and slept instead of going to comrie!

saturday went canoeing, had a great laugh and after canoeing the drinking started so we didnt bother with biking on saturday!

sunday up early doors and off to laggan. now i didnt drink as much as thursday, but i was still dreadfully slow on all the up hill. much to my friends amusement! then spent the morning having fun at laggan. they decided to stay and play in the afternoon, but i thought best to quit while i can still walk. so safely home now.

just going to be having a nice wee rest. but gonna be out on the bike way more seeing i now have a lot of spare time on my hands! i need to get myself fit. does anyone have tips for getting myself 'cycling fit'? is it a case of just getting out there and doing the miles? or am i better going shorter higher intensity rides or just going out for as long as i can at a time?
Old 27-09-09, 08:46 PM   #505
ThEGr33k

Well I won it. Should work well. Now I got to take the air cylinder in the Tora 318 Solo Air out to extend the travel to 130mm. ha.

Old 27-09-09, 11:18 PM   #506
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malks View Post
well northy you were kinda right on the outcome of the weekend!

I'm going to be the same though, we're doing a 2 day ride, Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig... Kirroughtree looks hard enough by itself. My legs are going to fall off

I think as far as training, it's supposed to be reps for strength- ie interval training- and duration for general fitness, ie distance. Intervals are deadly dull unless you can find a bit with a wee fun descent and a sharp climb back up though.

I got carried away with the Idrive and took most of the nice kit off the Soul to build it... Even with all the light-but-strong kit off the Soul it's stil 29.95lbs, the frame's a bloody anchor. But it's good fun. Need to give it a proper test next week, might drag it along to glentress for our night ride. Plan is to build the rear end up more permanently with the leftover bits I have and just leave it with no forks or front wheel, since I can swap all those bits from bike to bike in about 20 minutes anyway.
Old 28-09-09, 03:23 PM   #507
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post

I got carried away with the Idrive and took most of the nice kit off the Soul to build it... Even with all the light-but-strong kit off the Soul it's stil 29.95lbs, the frame's a bloody anchor. But it's good fun. Need to give it a proper test next week, might drag it along to glentress for our night ride. Plan is to build the rear end up more permanently with the leftover bits I have and just leave it with no forks or front wheel, since I can swap all those bits from bike to bike in about 20 minutes anyway.

Its all good. My outlook is "the heavier it is the fitter I get"
Old 28-09-09, 09:38 PM   #508
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Its all good. My outlook is "the heavier it is the fitter I get"
Mine may be "**** me, I'm not riding this cast iron behemoth up a mountain" It's cool though, I like the engineering of it. Apart from the weight it rides a fair bit like my mate's Orange 5 Pro, except that it bobs less on the pedals but doesn't soak up fast hits as well. So not bad for £125 eh
Old 28-09-09, 10:08 PM   #509
barwel1992

hmm dont ride much any more but i have a azonik evo2 frame ,magura phone forks,hope mono m4 front+back with 203mm floating rotors,fsa pig head set, eston bars, fireiey stem, 24seven grips,shimano xt shadow rear mech 9spd,shimano sait crank 32tooth with fsa bash ring a chain guide, halo sas wheals black,maxxis high roller dh tires. erm thats about it lol not bad i have had it since i was 15 upgrading it until i was 16 then couldent be botherd as i got a bike (50cc) then got a mt-03 660cc, now getin a sv so dont realy use it and fitnes has hit the floor lol

used to ride freeride and do some comps as and when
Old 03-10-09, 12:30 PM   #510
ThEGr33k

Got my new bike together now.

Specs are;

-Rockshox 318 Tora Solo air forks
-04 Kona coiler frame
-Big sun rims with LX hubs
-Deore crank and external BB
-LX deore rear mech
-Deore front mech
-Alivio quick shifters (no point spending big money here tbh)
-Avid Code 5 203mm rotor front brake (4 pot calliper, sooooo good and immense power!)
-Avid Juicy 3.5 rear 160mm rotor rear brake (more than enough to lock the wheel so its all I need back there.)

Not managed to get out on a good run but I played a little and it all seems great. So I hope I like full suspension now, first one.

Oh and keeping an eye on the forks. After some hard downhill riding they seemed to lose some oil... now the dampening dont seem to work so well and no lockout any more, oh and they lost a bit of pressure. So they might have to go back.