SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-01-09, 05:16 PM   #1
qpop

Default Some advice from all you lovely people

Really wanting to break into the SV650 world, wanted one as my first big bike but couldnt really afford one, looking for my second now, to come from an old knackered CB-500...

I'm looking at either a pointy or a curvy, I dont fit so well on a curvy S, my knees feel a little squished (6'4, 34" inner leg), but I'm sure I'd adjust. Ideally looking for an S rather than a non-faired, I think the pointy bikini fairing looks brill (point of contention I know!!!)

Couple of questions.... why is the price so variable?!
My local dealership has a T reg Curvy...25k miles, around £2000!!!!
Again the next nearest has an almost identical bike for the same money. This seems like really silly money to me?

Now I've found an 04 Pointy Sv 650 S, 12k miles, MOT till Sept 09, ART can and new tyres. Chain looks a little tatty from the pics, but rest of the bike is spotless. What does this say? Owner who cares more about sparkly frame than chain? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid!!!
Anyway they want £2.3k for it, its MOTted till Sept 09 and taxed until end of March

Does this seem reasonable? More to the point its only 30 miles away from Sheffield and all the bikes I seen on here that I like are in Kent/Sussex!!!!

Pics to follow please shower your wisdom on me..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg svleft.jpg.jpg (129.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg svrear.jpg.jpg (122.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg svright.jpg.jpg (129.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 20-01-09, 05:41 PM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Some advice from all you lovely people

I'm no expert, but it looks alright to me. You might be able to haggle a bit more off.
Old 20-01-09, 06:00 PM   #3
SVDragRacer

Is it just be or does that can seem to come of along way to the side fo the bike?

Strange.

By the sounds of it the point sound better value for money (ouch it hurts to say that) a t reg curvey (1999) with 25k on it must be in imaculate condition to sell for 2 grand. i bought my w reg curvey privately in good nic for only 1600 and that had 18k on it.
Old 20-01-09, 06:05 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Look in the For Sale section on here. You can get a nice bargain and pretty much guaranteed its been looked after.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-09, 06:06 PM   #5
qpop

Theres a couple of naked curvys in the for sale section here, one minter looking one in Leeds (not too far) for £1665, with ~18000 miles, and its a 99, and one for £1300 in West Yorks with £30k and its a 01, would either of those be worth considering? Do you let yourself in for more potential trouble buying nearly a 10 y old bike? I'm trying to stay away from needing immense maintenance. I will be riding every day, but I will treat the SV properly, maybe get a scotoiller, and use liberal amounts of AF-50!!
Old 20-01-09, 06:06 PM   #6
Sally

Try and buy privately if moneys a concern.

Get better deals, dealers tend to be a bit dearer, but comes with warranties and the such.

Check out our for sale forum.

For Sale Forum.
Old 20-01-09, 06:54 PM   #7
Sosha

Bought all mine privately... Look around and try not to buy the 1st one you see.... factor Chain/ sprockets/ tyres/ when it last had a service into the haggling.

(I know nothing)
Old 20-01-09, 06:56 PM   #8
ScottishRawker

i bought my sv off this forum, from "the basket"

i paid 2.6k 2 years ago for a immaculate 55plate with 4000 miles. fully standard

well its not standard now :P

Adam
ScottishRawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-09, 06:57 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

£2k for a Tplate Sv is Whey too much, and they know it! £1400 tops. Someone sold a much newer bike for less or at leat they have it advertised for less in the for sale section

The pointy seems a better deal The difference in price highlights the curvey being in more demand than the new one i suppose or at least it did for a while.

MY Sv is 8 years old. Ok, she aint pretty, but shes mechanicaly fine at 58000 miles. Ok, she needs a new clutch as i keep putting used ones in but there than that, im happy.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-09, 07:07 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Agree with the others the curvey is way over priced.

The pointy you're looking at, seems more reasonable, but if the owner has let the chain get rusty, what else havent they done.

IMHO keep looking its a buyers market at the moment...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote