SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-11-14, 11:32 PM   #1
Moleman

Default Dead soft animal lover

A long while back I inherited a Guzzi Le mon MK1 which is a bit of a restoration job. Anyway I finaly have it running and legali and decided to pick my lad up on it tonight - yeah it was cold - from his weekly cadet session approx 10 miles away. Trip is all back country roads and we were following an Audi A5 ?with one of his fellow cadet dad driving. Anyways they hit a young fox which bounced off the bumper they had to have known but just drove on. I rode round it and turned round as it was clearly not dead. We stopped and I picked the poor thing up but had no idea who I could ring for help!
As a massive animal lover it broke my heart to sit with it on the verge it died after about 5 minutes and I felt terrible as did my lad. My question would be who can you contact if you come across injured animal like this our young fox wouldn't have made it but if it ever happens again and I am not on the bikes I would want to at least try and save the poor things. Yeah I know I'm soft but I just can't handle seing animal in distress suffering. Anyone any ideas I did ring PDSA tonight but they said they would probably just put them to sleep and Also rang local RSPCS number but they were no help. I wold just like an idea of any organisations that his a damn about helping injured wildlife?

Last edited by Moleman; 04-11-14 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 07:08 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Dead soft animal lover

A friend of mine is a chief inspector for the RSPCA, I asked him a similar question a while back, just ring them, they can at least give you a number of a local emergency vet.

They are so over stretched at times so struggle to react quickly to these type of incidents.
In reality if it was still alive when they got there, they would put it out of it's misery on the roadside.
Old 05-11-14, 08:16 AM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

Yep as Sp1 said RSPCA have always helped (or given contact for a local animal rescue place) when ive found roadside casualties, and no i dont drive round looking for flat meat i just like to help my animal friends

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 11:05 PM   #4
Moleman

Thanks for the replys. I called the RSPCA again today on same number and spoke to a very helpful lady. She gave me two contact numbers for local organisations who help wildlife in distress. I have kept a note and will try them when this happens again. Ditto she said chances are if they had attended a call of this nature it is likely they would put it down as the survival rate are very slim. If I had taken the car I would have taken it to our vet but it would have died before I could get there. I find it sad that people just don't seem to care when they hit an animal nor bother to check if it survived or not.
Again thanks
Old 06-11-14, 01:07 PM   #5
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

We rescued a baby Starling from a local cat a few years ago while on the way home from the pub, as is the way with these things we knew that the chances of it surviving a cat bite were slim. Sadly the Local Wildlife charities here were overwhelmed and would not help due to it being a busy bank holiday, so we tried our best to keep the little chap alive. It died a couple of days later, despite our trying to feed and water the little beauty.

Have you ever seen two big bikers crying over a tiny bird? Well our neighbours did.

A week or so later we were able to collect Alby our Barn Owl, a bird bred in captivity, sadly she had her wing broken by the breeder being out of date with breeding practices and using the wrong kind of breeding cage (and not by my dropping a welding hammer on her like I told some old ladies at Bike Night!). Alby is thriving now despite her disability (we found a Vet who would see exotic birds of prey who checked her out and told us to leave her wing alone because she was fine, but would never fly), but despite how lovely she is that little Starling was so precious and lovely.

My Cat wears a nice big bell to warn wild life of his approach and because of this, he has not been out murdering for a long time now, not that he actually moves much the lazy little swine. If he were a human being, he would be a the kind to sit all day in his pants watching Jeremy Kyle, ordering in Pizza and waiting for life to happen to him! Not in any way like me... Honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 01:59 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

We rescued a baby sparrow. Similar story, bought mealworms for it and you have to squish their heads before feeding them to the bird. It still only lived about a week. It was even getting tame and flew on to Miss Ophic's shoulder. We never really figured out why it died. Just found it dead one morning.

For injured roadside animals, the best thing you can usually do is put them out of their misery. Quite often even if they survive the immediate injuries, they'll end up disabled and still can't survive in the wild. And they're not tame so you can't take them home. Tough thing to do though.
Old 06-11-14, 03:01 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I came across a ferret wandering about in a country lane. Left it at the vet as it seemed uninjured but very thin. Probably out rabbiting and got lost. It was so friendly it sat in my lap in the car. A few hours later we got a call from the vet to say 'our ferret' was ready to go home. Tricky as I lived in a flat in London. My mum took her on but I paid to have her spayed, bought a cage, food including frozen chicks etc so she'd cost me a fortune. Then we found out ferrets don't like to live alone so we had to get her a friend from the rescue centre. To be fair she was really cute and I used to visit her at weekends but I never thought when I stopped the car to pick up a scrawny but of fluff that I'd be getting 2 new pets for the next 7 years!

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 06-11-14 at 03:02 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 10:20 PM   #8
Moleman

A barn Owl ! Wow I love them, I am probably the biggest animal lover I know and couldn't halm a fly.. We'll probably at a push possibly a fly. If I could have a captive bred bird it would be either a Peregrine Falcon a Caracaras (if I spelt it right) or a Crow.

I had a call at work once from the wife about a chirping in our kitchen. When I got home and investigated it turned out we had a sparrow nesting in our loft and a semi fledged chick had fallen down the wall cavity. I drilled out the mortar and removed 3 bricks and found the wee thing now covered in dust and we kept it for three weeks feeding it and watering it as it asked. Happy to say it did live although I never thought it would, he or she also got fairly tame but when I let it go we never met again my wife is terrified of birds our cat came in one evening with a live pigeon and Helen almost had kittens herself it was funny at the time. The pigeon was taken and let free much to the disappointment of our cat. To be fair she is very lazy rarely goes out and almost never leaves the garden, she has only ever killed a mouse just the once and the kids had a funeral in the garden were it rests to this day.
Our cat to has a bell which is the biggest loudest one we could get for a small cat short of Big Ben ��

Last edited by Moleman; 06-11-14 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 11:57 PM   #9
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Our Alby is a royal pain, she pecks, bites, poos everywhere and squalks. She is a dreadful pet...

Her flying is rubbish and she cannot even get off the ground due to her broken wing!

She created mayhem when I happened to take her to the bank.

She is a terrible mouser!

She comes home with inappropriate chicks

She is a nightmare when she has been out drinking.

She gets irritable when it rains.

She was a very ugly baby too.

So there is no way I recommend that anyone gets a barnowl as a pet. They make terrible pets and you never get to take them out anywhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 07:40 AM   #10
missyburd

Aww Jayne, love those pics, Alby's such a cool dudette!

Sorry to hear about the fox Moleman, a sad time. Local wildlife sanctuaries are usually a pretty good bet as they will favour rehabilitation if they can as opposed to just putting the critters down.