SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-06, 04:39 PM   #1
xj/frosty

Default race report

What a fantastic day it was yesterday. Dawning a little misty but with clear blue skies and little wind. Wow this is perfect racing weather I thought
Dougal my teammate and I got through sighn on and Tech pretty quickly and then gave the bikes a bit of a once over. measuring in the 6 litres of gas I needed I was ready to rumble.
At AMCC races you only get one practice which doubles as qualifying.(determining your grid position)
So From engine fire up you need to be in race mode.
I decided I wanted clear track in front of me for practice/qualifying so I shot out of the pits like a bull at a gate. Right behind me was the guy right behind me on points on a borrowed hotrod bike.
We have 10 minutes practice and during that time you need to lay down the fastest lap you can.
I picked up the pace to what felt like 1minute six second laps and at one stage looked back to see no sighn of my competition -(nicknames KK).
But reality hurt -I qualified in 4th place with a 1.10 second best lap. Proof positive you need to stay focussed right from lap one.

First race and I saw the starters arm twitch so I poured on the gas--Ooops a bit early and had to stop again -just as I stopped he dropped the flag.-result --another Frosty shocking start.
Into turn 1 and Im in fourth place behind KK and another guy.For 3 laps it was an all out dogfight with any one of the three of us being in front.
Id scream on up to the other two through the esses after the fast blind right hander (jennian) into the corner before the back straight (castrol ) and get a tiny gap. Then KK would dive on past underneath me into the hairpin. the other guy got better drive being outside us and would dive on past both of us. Corner after corner this went on
Slowly KK and I pulled away from the other guy and it became a two way battle.
I saw KK was still struggling with a bike he wasn't familiar with and managed to out run him round castrol and pulled enough of a gap to stay in front right to the finish line. WOOHOOO I punched the air I was well pleased with that --and better to come --I posted an official PB (personal best lap time) of 1.08.05. (one minute eight point zero five seconds

Second race and I had a better start but then so did KK. Now he was better aquainted with the bike and we picked the pace up a bit. This was just a pure two way battle with both of us trying to avoid being drafted (thats when you literally tow the other bike along) and riding defensively to stop the other passing easily.
It came down literally to the last series of corners before the flag. I was behind KK but drafting him. He gave me a tow up through turn 6 and over the hill.I bust free of him on the crest of the hill. It was a straight out drag race to the line.Goldarn it that bike is quick.I beat KK by maybee 300mm.
(yup one foot) So another win --but soo sooo close --
More fantastic news -I posted another PB of 1.07.45 Yehaa Im officially in the 1.07's
Last race of the day and I actually got a not bad start.I knew darn well KK wanted to win real bad but then so did I.
Right from lap 1 it was down to KK and I so we had a whole race to sort out who was faster. I lost count of how many times we swapped places during that 6 laps Id catch KK over the hill and through the esses but he stayed on the gas about 15yards longer into the hairpin and got back on the gas a tiny bit quicker than me. everywhere else we were evenly matched.
Man it was just fantastic racing.
It was so close it once again came down to a drag race to the line.I was on the right KK on the left as we crossed the line. Neither of us had a clue who had actually won the race.
I made a bit of a mistake heading to the line In trying to get as much of a tow off of KK as I could I "leaned " on him as we were crossing the line and he had to pull to the left to avoid me.
Result being on the video I won by a knats whisker. But quite rightly they gave the win to KK.
Apsolutely fantastic race that one. KK and I both posted in the 1.07's with me now down to regular high 1.07 and one 1.07.29
I had a great days racing thanks folks
Old 22-04-06, 07:14 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Got any pics or vid to go with this mate?
Sounds like a race worth seeing, spesh the final dash
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-06, 07:28 PM   #3
GSXR Carlos

Coolio mate, sounds good
Old 22-04-06, 08:00 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Not that it will mean anything to me as I live in the UK, but which track??? Do you have a URL that shows track layout?

No wonder you two were pulling away from the pack if you were running your bikes on GAS .. bet everyone else was using petrol!!!

So where did you finish up in the championship??
Old 22-04-06, 09:28 PM   #5
xj/frosty

heck this link http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/default.htm
This track is Pukekohe park
Championship isn't over yet--1 round to go but Im leading on points by about 50 points
Old 23-04-06, 09:23 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj/frosty
heck this link http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/default.htm
This track is Pukekohe park
Championship isn't over yet--1 round to go but Im leading on points by about 50 points
thats a cool site http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Austr.../pukekohe.html

Which layout werer you on??

Good luck on the championship, 1 round is 3 races there right?? So it is still up 4 grabs!?!?!

Write another report when you do the last round mate,it was fun to read where and whne is it??
Old 24-04-06, 08:23 AM   #7
xj/frosty

take the loop for the club track out and you've got it.
Last round is going to be at Taupo raceway -only about 1.3 miles of track but pretty tricky with onlyy a couple of good passing opertunities.
Yep I can still beaten -doing the math (never my strongest subject) I need 3 fourth place finishes given the guy next in the points wins every race