SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-12, 01:33 PM   #11
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Re: Am i too old to retrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
... but then when you're underneath the van and some road crud has dropped in your eye again and some arssewhole has rounded off the sump nut - you do find yourself asking if you should even have bothered in the first place.
Exactly. When it's a warm sunny day and you're out on your driveway, everything comes off easy as pie, the new stuff fits on perfectly, and nothing gets broken in the process, the bike fires up and all is perfect, it's great. When its cold, and your fingers are numb, everything is corroded to hell and filthy, and you keep lacerating your hand when your hand slips off the wrench on a jammed bolt, it must get old really fast.

I do enjoy working on my bike normally, but I have never enjoyed working on a car.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 04:28 PM   #12
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Being a motor tec is ok.
But new stuff is allot of electrical issues .
But it is generally very mixed ,one day be finding rattles seats striped down .
Next fitting a new flywheel to a 4x4.
But don't think your get rich .
Old 27-01-12, 09:35 PM   #13
-Ralph-

Not at all, my wife retrained as a teacher at 35/36. Got out of language based office jobs and into teaching languages instead. You could teach IT if you have a degree and you can hack the kids. Nice holidays, but it's damn hard work during term time. You'd need to be able to afford to go back to being a student for a year. You would start on about £22 grand, probably comparable if your a IT support engineer, probably a salary drop if your any higher than that. Maybe you hate the idea, it's just a suggestion.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 27-01-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 27-01-12, 09:54 PM   #14
sorebutt

Of couse there ae also plenty of high paid posts whee taining/expeience isn't equied such as pimeministe chancello of the excheque foeign secetay etc etc - damn keyboad is naff again

I etained at the age of 50 and all is ok now, meanwhile I'll use only sentences that don't contain the missing button you know, the one that lies alphabetically between 'Q' and 'S' - wasn't that good!

Last edited by sorebutt; 27-01-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 27-01-12, 09:59 PM   #15
Bluefish

^^ That a mild fom of dislexia you got thee mate, damm i've got it now, lol.
Old 27-01-12, 10:17 PM   #16
Mrs DJ Fridge

It is never too late to learn new stuff, the only problem is the pay cut whilst you do it. Our stores guy at work decided to train as a refrigeration engineer, did most of it in night school and is really happy with how it has turned out.