SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-08, 06:38 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Is it worth having a full Service History?

Was talking today when we were at the ace, the general point was that you don't you a need a service with a bike like the SV, how much does it really effect the resale value of the bike?

Mine being a new bike, I was thinking it was important to have, wouldn't you also need that to keep the warranty vaild? But you know I would rather look after my own bike, then I know whats been done to it, when and right and on time!

I was just wondering what the general thoughs were about this? I keeping the bike from 3 years at least last August anyway. I would probally keep for 4 years, its just such a joy to ride and cheap!
Old 24-02-08, 06:43 PM   #2
Durbs

Default Re: Is it worth having a full Service History?

I personally wouldnt look twice at a bike without FSH so i guess pretty important. Its no different from a car, no service history = owner hasnt looked after it, walk away.
Old 24-02-08, 06:48 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
no service history = owner hasnt looked after it, walk away.
Sorry, but I would disagree with that. There are many people on here who look after their own bikes, and do a far better job than some anonymous grease monkey at a dealers.

A full service history can just lure you into a false sense of security.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 06:54 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Tricky one this.For the first two years it keeps the warranty up,although techmically this servicing can be done by a non franchised dealer.Try enforcing that with Mr Suzuki without going to court.
A FSH makes a bike much easier to sell used,but you wont get a great deal more money for it,certainly nowhere near the dosh laid out on servicing.It also depends how many miles you do.First 600 mile service should be (almost)free,and then it may well be worth having the annual 4000 mile one done by the dealer if you only do average mileage,as that would keep your warranty up for the second year.After that doing it yourself and keeping reciepts for oil and filters is probably the most cost effective by quite a margin.
Old 24-02-08, 06:56 PM   #5
Durbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Sorry, but I would disagree with that. There are many people on here who look after their own bikes, and do a far better job than some anonymous grease monkey at a dealers.

A full service history can just lure you into a false sense of security.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, keen amateur dabbling can be worse than no service history at all. No FSH = Walk away, 'Serviced it meself mate' = Sprint

Appreciate that there are some excellent mechanically minded types on this forum but when you are buying a bike off Joe Bloggs, i certainly aint going to take his word for his prowess when parting with my hard earned. I'm of the school where if i dont see a full lot of dealer stamps, i'm not interested. A load of the maintenence on the SV can (and should) be done at home, but the main services need to be done by a dealer.
Old 24-02-08, 07:01 PM   #6
John 675

i have had the 600 miler done, but i look after it myself, just think how much a simple service costs at a service station..?120 maybe, i can do it for ?50 MAX just for a stamp on a card.. nah doesnt add up, if you keep your bike clean and keep up to date with the service the bike will speak for itself.. would you buy a battered looking bike in a dealer just because it has a FSH, and turn down a bike like kwaks with no FSH.. i know i wouldnt
Old 24-02-08, 07:02 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

if the bikes still in its warranty period then I'd wanna see a book full of service stamps.

If not I wouldnt be so bothered. But I'd wanna size up the owner to see what sort of a person they were. A garage full of tools, oil, paddock stands and lube and a clean bike + receipts for parts etc etc would tell me that theres a good chance the bikes been looked after.

A dirty minging bike, an no stuff in the garage with no service history I wouldnt be so keen, and I use all that to beat the asking price right down.

if you do a load of miles it doesnt really matter and the miles will wipe off the resale value more than having or not having a full service history will.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 07:03 PM   #8
John 675

+ 1 to fizz
Old 24-02-08, 07:06 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Durbs you may be right in theory,but I suggest you will pay through the nose for your trouble.
To me a used SV should have evidence of regular oil/filter changes (easily done at home)and evidence of valve clearence checks if the mileage requires.Other stuff is nice to have but would be part of my check over on any bike I bought so I dont want to be paying over the odds for it.
Some more exotic machinary needs more evidence of servicing,but SVs?
Old 24-02-08, 07:12 PM   #10
Rich
Mega Poster

I'd like to see all major Servicing done by a competent person or garage but as for the rest any monkey can do an oil change if they try.