SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-14, 10:57 PM   #1
sputnik

Default valve clearance/service/leakdown question

OK peeps. As always, excuse my ignorance and be gentle with me. Bike is booked in for 32k service. A valve clearance check is usually part of this - agreed. The chosen garage has a standard flat(ish) rate major service option that includes a compression and leakdown test. Getting the clearances checked would be an additional cost. Garage blokey reckoned the above included tests would give a sufficiently good idea of whether there were any significant valve issues that warranted further inspection and, if necessary, a specific clearance check could subsequently be booked.

I'd welcome your views as to whether you reckon the full clearance check is necessary or if the compression and leakdown tests are enough as a reliable indicator?

Further salient points: my budget is not unlimited(!), the workshop in question is a main Suzuki dealership with a generally good reputation, and the bike has not displayed any symptoms that might suggest valve issues.oh, and (almost certainly completely irrelevantly) valves were reportedly checked and fine at the 16k service less than 18 months ago.

Oh, bike is a 2010 plate pointy with a tad over 32k on the clock.

Last edited by sputnik; 25-03-14 at 10:59 PM. Reason: miised details
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 11:13 PM   #2
rb8989

Default Re: valve clearance/service/leakdown question

Pretty sure a leakdown test has nothing to do with clearances, if anything it can show poor valve seating or rings.

A too loose valve clearance would not show up as leakage, too tight as to not let the valve close yes..but youd have burnt valves but tight valves on a shimmed valve train wou;ld mean someone without a clue has been messing with it..

I might be really wrong though.
Old 26-03-14, 07:51 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Compression/leakdown test is a test for wear or damage
Valve clearance check is a routine measure to prevent that damage before it gets to that stage.Id do the valve clearance check
Old 26-03-14, 08:44 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I've never used compression/leakdown tests as a check for valve clearances but it's an interesting idea, however I suspect if it shows up low pressures* then the valve clearances are somewhat overdue for setting. Certainly it would be much easier than pulling the valve covers off and waving the feeler gauges around, seeing as one would only need to remove the plugs, that said a valve clearance check is hardly difficult. Adjustment is rather more involved of course, but that's the same whatever method is used to decide if it's necessary.

*That it is subsequently decided are due to valves not cylinder leakage, obviously.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-14, 10:45 AM   #5
SV650Racer

Valve clearances tend to go tight on the SV in particular the rear cylinder exhaust side. I wouldnt ever use a leak down or compression test to see if they need adjustment during a service.

Valve clearances if needing adjustment wont generally show any external symptoms until they are very tight where you will loose compression when hot etc. Very rarely do they go loose.

Throttle bodies will also be due to be balanced on that service.

Some people will say they wont need doing....but unless you actually check them you wont know.
Old 26-03-14, 11:29 AM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

The clues in the title,Clearance= Gap.
Take it somwere else or get clued up and do it yourself
Old 26-03-14, 12:38 PM   #7
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
The clues in the title,Clearance= Gap.
Take it somwere else or get clued up and do it yourself
I'd do this if I were you. Feeler gauges are cheap and if you have an hour or so spare one weekend (as well as a Haynes manual), you'll be able to check the clearances yourself.

I'd always recommend learning to do simple stuff like this as it saves you money and puts you in a better position to maintain your bike going forward.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-14, 01:05 PM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Oh...and if you're doing it yourself, go prepared and make up a table like the one in this thread to keep a note of the readings.... http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=170704
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-14, 02:10 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

major service is all that is needed, this should include valves.

they have probably got a new toy in the workshop and have to pay for it. leakdown and comprssion test only shows if you have worn valve seats and or bore/rings.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-14, 05:56 PM   #10
sputnik

Ok - thanks for the responses, all. I think we have a consensus of opinion and it pretty much confirms my thinking on the matter. I did think it a little odd that the workshop view was that the other tests were probably a reasonable indicator without doing a clearance check - they aren't normally shy about recommending you get work done! I was a bit surprised when they didn't just say 'it needs doing - end of'.

I'll either get it added into the service or give it a bash myself if time allows.