SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-06, 11:25 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default battery or alternator?

Bike was left outside for a week during cold weather and wouldnt start
you can hear the bike go through the electronic sequence when u turn the key and it will only kick in with a jump

now a few things i see
when its runnings the back led's and the front headlights flicker and when u rev it then that goes away - also when the bike is turned off - guess what it needs to be jump started again - so either the batteries lost the will to take a charge or the alternators not juicing it up -

my thought is the batteries lost it and ive seen it online for 50 quid delivered - any thoughts on this would be cool and is that the cheapest for the battery?

plus any advice on optimate and charging would be cool with some links where to get the stuff cheapest
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 12:26 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

First off charge the battery and see if the problem goes away, if not then you'll need to do an charging test to see if it does or not.

I've posted a few times on testing and diagnosing charging/battery troubles, have a look around- they're out there somewhere.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 12:57 AM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Do the checks as Sid recommends.

If you do need a battery, consider the YTZ range from Yuasa, the cold cranking performance is way better than most "standard" batteries.

For example, the dealer fitted a YTZ10S to my Deauville from new (they must have run out of std types), and the cranking speed is fearsome! Cold Cranking current is 190Amps compared to 120A for the recommended item. YTZ12S is 210A.

The YTZ10S is actually physically shorter than the stock (curvy) SV battery (I've tried it in my SV OK), and I think the YTZ12S would probably fit. Check out the dimensions on the Yuasa site (click on "specs" in the applications lists).

Someone on the Deauville website forum recently had one from
http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/inter-bi...numperpage=500

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/yuasa0...=B178&vID=4992
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 10:20 AM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

my worry is that i have a immobiliser fitted on the sv

if i get the higher amp rating is there a danger i might fry the electrics?

or am i being paranoid!
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 10:25 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

No, won't be an issue. Electronics only draw the current they want, having a battery with higher capacity won't cause problems.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 12:45 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Everyone with a bike should have an optimate charger just like you have a crash helmet IMHO.Even if you don't have easy mains power where you keep the bike,it should be possible to put it on the charger every week or two somewhere.This will generally prevent most of the battery problems we see so often and will mean your battery will last years longer than otherwise.£39.00 well spent.