SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-07-22, 06:13 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Tiiiimber!!

I suspect they've only gone to save their own skins, and to look more principled for a stab at the leadership.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62049705
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 07:06 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tiiiimber!!

Rats leaving a sinking ship.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-22, 07:16 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Rats leaving a sinking ship.

Shame the sinking ship doesn't take the whole, vile, corrupt bunch of self obsessed, perverts and deviants with it.
Old 05-07-22, 07:39 PM   #4
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I suspect they've only gone to save their own skins, and to look more principled for a stab at the leadership.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62049705
Politicians doing what politicians do.

IMHO, if they had real principles and integrity, they'd oust the problem but stay to take accountability for clearing up the mess.

Reading Sunak's letter, I shudder to think what might be in the "speech on the economy" if/when it comes out. Whatever might be said - and I can;t see it ever having been pleasant - the 'truth' is probably worse!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 05:14 AM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Now we have the "A" team to pick from: Nadine Dorries, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab*

New Chancellor: Nadhim Zahawi. Good with our money? Well he did claim £6000 to heat his horse riding stables on expenses.
(meet the new boss, same as the old boss)

*we are so screwed.

I saw this tweet which made me laugh:

"
Nadine Dorries has tried to submit a letter of resignation, but accidentally adopted a snow leopard."

Last edited by Seeker; 06-07-22 at 05:23 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 07:37 AM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

Sunak's speech was the prelude to swingeing cuts and austerity measures that would make Gideon - sorry, George - Osborne look like Father Christmas.

Whether they'll happen now is questionable, as I can't see Johnson being focused on anything other than saving his own skin.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 08:48 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

The rest of the world look at us and wonder just how on earth the UK has let itself get into this situation. We used to be respected.

Someone I know said to me recently that there is a word in the English (sic) language for which not all other languages have a direct equivalent, and that word is "decency".
We generally all know what this word means, all the underlying connotations and implied values etc.
I think we will find out over the next few days/weeks just how many of the political masses actually have any sense of "decency".

Recidivism is very predictable, if someone does something wrong, lies about it and gets away with it, they will do it again and again. While being unfair to leopards, they do not change their spots. Pathological liars will remain so. Johnson could have just said he knew about the previous complaints but made a mistake in the appointment, and yet again brazened it out and he'd have got away with it (yet again), but he had to lie. To hang out his cabinet and junior ministers to dry by getting them to lie for him was reprehensible and indicative of the total absence of decency of the man. Utterly despicable in every respect.
It's the kid who gets caught with their hand in the biscuit jar, Johnson's mind works on that level. "It wasn't me, it was him."
Old 06-07-22, 11:57 AM   #8
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
The rest of the world look at us and wonder just how on earth the UK has let itself get into this situation. We used to be respected.

Someone I know said to me recently that there is a word in the English (sic) language for which not all other languages have a direct equivalent, and that word is "decency".

We generally all know what this word means, all the underlying connotations and implied values etc.

I think we will find out over the next few days/weeks just how many of the political masses actually have any sense of "decency".

Recidivism is very predictable, if someone does something wrong, lies about it and gets away with it, they will do it again and again. While being unfair to leopards, they do not change their spots. Pathological liars will remain so. Johnson could have just said he knew about the previous complaints but made a mistake in the appointment, and yet again brazened it out and he'd have got away with it (yet again), but he had to lie. To hang out his cabinet and junior ministers to dry by getting them to lie for him was reprehensible and indicative of the total absence of decency of the man. Utterly despicable in every respect.

It's the kid who gets caught with their hand in the biscuit jar, Johnson's mind works on that level. "It wasn't me, it was him."
If only there was an effective opposition...

Old 06-07-22, 02:53 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Which MPs have announced their decision to quit Boris Johnson's circus...sorry... government?
Cabinet

Chancellor Rishi Sunak
Quit last night writing: “The public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.“I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.”

Health Secretary Sajid Javid
Left the government last night within minutes of the Chancellor, writing: “I regret that I can no longer continue in good conscience.”

Ministers

Will Quince, education minister
Resigned this morning after being sent out on TV to defend the PM days ago, saying Downing Street briefings "have now been found to be inaccurate".

Alex Chalk, solicitor general
The most high-profile of the resignations from outside of the Cabinet, Mr Chalk said that he could not "defend the indefensible".

Robin Walker, schools minister
Minister for Schools Robin Walker said: "Unfortunately, recent events have made it clear to me that our great party, for which I have campaigned all of my adult life, has become distracted from its core missions by a relentless focus on questions of leadership."

Stuart Andrew, housing minister
The MP for Pudsey said he has "no other choice than to resign".

"Loyalty and unity are traits that I have always endeavoured to provide for our great party. However, I fear I have let these override my judgement recently. There comes a time when you have to look at your own personal integrity and that time is now."

Jo Churchill, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs minister
The junior minister said "the country and party deserves better", and a "clear, self-less vision is needed".

Victoria Atkins, Home Office minister
The MP for Louth and Horncastle wrote: "The casual mistreatment of Minister Will Quince and the revelations contained in Lord McDonald's letter highlight just how far your government has fallen from these ideals. I can no longer pirouette around our fractured values. We can and must be better than this."

John Glen, City minister and economic secretary to the Treasury
The Tory MP for Salisbury said Boris Johnson's "poor judgement" made it "impossible for me to square continued service with my conscience" in his resignation letter.

Kemi Badenoch, minister for levelling up, equalities
Neil O'Brien, minister for levelling up, housing and communities
Lee Rowley, minister for industry
Alex Burghart, minister for skills
Julia Lopez, minister for media, data and digital infrastructure
Mims Davies, employment minister
The Mid Sussex MP resigned saying the Conservative Party needed a "fresh start".

Parliamentary private secretaries

Jonathan Gullis, Northern Ireland Office
In a statement, Mr Gullis tendered his resignation "with a heavy heart", adding that his party has been "more focused on dealing with our reputational damage rather than delivering for the people of this country".

Saqib Bhatti, Department of Health and Social Care
Mr Bhatti quit his role with a statement that "recent events have undermined trust and standards in public life".

Nicola Richards, Department of Transport
Ms Richards said in a statement that she could not serve "under the current circumstances".

Virginia Crosbie, Welsh Office
Ms Crosbie said in a Facebook post that if Mr Johnson is left in office, he will "irrevocably" harm the Government and the Conservative Party.

Laura Trott, Department of Transport
She said in a Facebook post: "Trust in politics is - and must always be - of the upmost importance, but sadly in recent months this has been lost.

Selaine Saxby, HM Treasury
In her resignation letter, she said: "Inaction is indeed action, and my silence is not compatible with my views or position."

Claire Coutinho, HM Treasury
David Johnston, Department of Education
Felicity Buchan, Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Others

Bim Afolami, vice-chairman of the Conservative Party for youth
Speaking to Talk TV, Mr Afolami announced that he too would have to step down, adding: "I just don't think the Prime Minister any longer has, not just my support, but he doesn't have, I don't think, the support of the party, or indeed the country any more."

Andrew Murrison, trade envoy to Morocco
In a letter calling for Mr Johnson to resign, Mr Murrison quit his job, saying that the PM's position had become "unrecoverable".

Theodora Clarke, trade envoy to Kenya
The Stafford MP resigned from her position as trade envoy to Kenya with a statement which said she takes "allegations of sexual misconduct very seriously" and that the Prime Minister had shown a "severe lack of judgment and care" for his parliamentary party.
Old 06-07-22, 03:19 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Pickfords van seen touting for work in Downing Street.
So who will replace him?